Help? new mosin owner

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
killahskeez

Help? new mosin owner

Post by killahskeez »

Just recently bought my first Mosin at a gun show, it's a 1930 Tula hex receiver Mosin Nagant, I finally got around to shooting it yesterday and after I shot it the bolt was very hard to open and the casing wouldn't come out I couldn't get it out until i got home and stuck a brass rod down the barrel and hit it with a hammer until it finally came out, the casing is a bit scraped up, i was wondering what count of cause it because i cleaned the bore very good before shooting it, could it be the head spacing ? heres somes pics of the casing after getting it out
sel511

Re: Help? new mosin owner

Post by sel511 »

I had a similar issue with a '44 Izhevsk. Check the chamber rim and make sure there's not a machined burr at the opening. I had one at the 5 o'clock position, though not as severe, it did scrape the brass and required a good wack on the bolt to get it open. Was a pain in the butt to remove, but now all is well.
entropy

Re: Help? new mosin owner

Post by entropy »

Burr in the chamber,(least likely) or possibly bad extractor (also not very likely), or gunk built up in the cutout for the extractor up in the receiver, causing the extractor to crush the side of the round..(most likely) Check that first, if not that, then take the bolt out and try to slip a case rim under the extractor.If it goes, the extractor is probably OK. While the bolt is out, look in the chamber for any burrs.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien