First deer sighting from the stand

Lee-online

Re: First deer sighting from the stand

Post by Lee-online »

Back again this evening, likely coming down from the woods and waiting here until its dark before venturing out where there is more human activity.

I believe this is the same doe as above, actually all four of them, the wart one wasn't here.

I had the ISO cranked way up but still it got too dark within a few minutes and the camera wouldn't focus.

Kollaa kestää
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

What kind of camera are you using? It sure takes pictures way better than my iphone. I should get me something fancy like you have.
I believe in the right to arm bears.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I got a DSLR a few years ago and have been buying different lenses as I found them. For these I have a 70/300 and have it zoomed all the way to 300mm. Due to the low light and long lens I have it on a tripod to hold it steady but because the deer don't hold still for me most pics are blurry and out of focus.

Wart face showed up tonight with the other four.

The fawns stayed in the wood line.

Warty was not too timid.

Kollaa kestää
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

I jumped a couple doe again north of my position as I was walking to my stand again last night about 6:30.. Right after I got in the stand I saw another doe to the east looking in my direction. After a few minutes of staring each other down she started snorting frantically and darted off.
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Out here again this afternoon. I just saw a young 4 point buck walk by about 40 yards east of my stand. I was able to hear him before I saw him because the leaves on the ground are dry and crunchy. I used my grunt call a couple times and he gave no reaction; just continued on his way unconcerned.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You want a deer? No problem, come out here and ride in to the shop with me in the morning, you will see four or five dancing across the road on the way. They attempt suicide by van every morning like clockwork, I am almost out of nasty things to scream at them when they try it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Hunting with a van or car does not work well. I hit a deer doing 70mph on a Ca. freeway going to work one morning. I never saw it, just a huge bang and a lot of steam. It was my girlfriends car, oops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Ya'lls deer must be depressed. I see them all the time along the road leading home. They just hang out watching me drive by without any suicidal tendencies.

This evening just before dark I was still in my stand when 4 doe came out for their evening powwow. I wanted to see how they'd respond to my call so I started grunting and bleating and as I expected they just ignored me. They didn't want to be friends. Then a decent sized buck walks out just as the light has become too dim to see clearly. I think he was a six point but it could have been eight. Just before the buck walked out I heard a rustling behind me. I turned to see a raccoon hanging out almost under my stand. I thought about killing him for the handsome wall ornament he'd make, but I figured my 7.62x54 was probably overkill for it. He meandered off after a few minutes.
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

A couple of armadillos just came out of the brush making all kinds of ruckus under my stand. https://vimeo.com/140298293
https://vimeo.com/140300305