Misc. stamps/codes on 1916 Mauser

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
berkmberk1

Misc. stamps/codes on 1916 Mauser

Post by berkmberk1 »

I am having difficulty getting the straight skinny on some stampings. I'm looking at a K98a(z) with a code stamped on the bolt takedown insert - J.S.101, and a different code stamped on the butt plate - P.B.d.101. Their format does not seem to properly coincide with unit designations. I did read somewhere that they could be codes stamped after field repair. That could make sense as the rifle is only partially matching. i've been told it is not import marked, so I am assuming it it less likely to have been cobbled together here.

Does anyone recognize these codes, or know where I can find out? I can't seem to put together a search term that gets me very far.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
berkmberk1

Re: Misc. stamps/codes on 1916 Mauser

Post by berkmberk1 »

its now mine, by the way.....confirmed win!
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Is this a german kar98 or a polish k98az? Is the crest scrubbed or is it still there?
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

German Erfurt H stamp on stock
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

From what I can ascertain some of the kar98a s were sent as police rifles to various outifts. Not sure if they were purchased or given to allies. Have not checked those particular numbers but here is a essay on some of the older k98a s and observations. It mentions numbers on the butt plate.
http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/kar98.pdf
It wont let me copy text but that part is under Erfurt 1904. Now, these are observations on kar98s with lange rear sights of early design. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks like they were police rifles used in german colonies in Africa. Not sure where you can find the reference of meanings. Maybe search german African colonies. :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Could also be post WWI german police issue. Rbd would be reichsbahn direktion
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Many thanks. I was able to squeeze the K98a page (the one linked to is the original K98 model that they decided was the wrong way to go.) Unfortunately, it doesn't give mention to misc. stamps. It does, however, reinforce my idea that this might be a theater rebuild (not matching completely) as the author's opinion is that it is perfectly natural for this type of weapon NOT to match.......sort of like the Finn MNs.

I still need to find the elusive reference to sundry "additional" stamps and marks that I KNOW someone must have put together.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

The AZ models are cool, pics!
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Hasn't shipped yet.........hopefully late this week or next. I'll try to copy from the posting.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

This should do until I can take my own.

pix134071755.jpg
pix653880997.jpg
pix664159075.jpg
pix639497725.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Did I link the wrong one? I was on a couple. One was an original kar reference but also had info for butt plate markings. The kar98 was passed around to every uncle cousin friend or friend of a friend of the germans and used for ever. Even the finns had kar98s. From my short looking around it looks like they were a staple of all german police and colonies police forces after WWI. It is very common (not too but relative) to find them with the 1920 property mark and also with a couple of police numbers on the butt. I could not find a list of the police codes although I am sure there is one somewhere :roll: :lol:
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I've seen those also, but the ones I've seen were double dated...this one isn't.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

1920 is more like a property mark then a date. They marked all the rifles in stores so that they could identify stolen or kept rifles. This basicly was the first gun buy back program. The rifles that they had were marked with the 1920 mark so that they could buy back rifles from people that kept or found or stole rifles to comply with the treaty. They marked the ones they had so they would not be buying back thier own rifles. Cant remember the doh they were giving but it went down each month till imprisonment was left. Of course only a few sold stuff back. There was a booming black market that paid much more I guess. :thumbsup: