1899 Izhevsk
Barrel s/n 54538
s/n M44042922
Labeled as M-44 by the Importer
Importer: C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.
Stock: Russian M-44

Markings:
- Late model bayonet bracket (two ears)
- Serial Numbers forced matched - twice on the bolt.
- Receiver is an 1899 Izhevsk
- Czech star on barrel shank
- No "mysterious" number on shank
- Circle "П" Provisional Black Power Test - Upper left side, barrel shank
- Circle "К" Proof of Aim - upper right side, barrel shank
- Small letter "T" to the right of the Imperial Crest - shank
- Circle "T" - Czech rework stamp on receiver
- Wide two part arrow (found on M91/38's exclusively) on receiver
- Lack of Czech stock markings of any kind
- Unmarked plum barrel bands
- Stamped barrel band springs - one Izhevsk, one unmarked
- Imperial unmarked bolt (except for "yy")** with Imperial Tula and Sestoryetsk parts - serialized Tula cocking piece.
- Magazine case Imperial Tula with assorted pre and post 1928 parts from Izhevsk and Tula
- Butt Plate - Post 1928 Izhevsk
- Trigger assembly - combination Pre/Post 1928 parts
- Interrupter/Ejector-Type 2
- Wide assortment of stampings below the wood line as can be expected from these old rifles.

Discussion Section

Significance

This M91/38 is one of two known to exist in the U.S. as per research done by the previous owner. It is an extremely rare M91/38 in that it has the original bayonet installed during the M91/38 refurbishment/build. This rifle is proof that bayonets were installed on an unknown number of M91/38's with the vast majority of those bayonets and mounts being removed prior to final acceptance. To find one with the bayonet still installed and functional would rate very high in most Mosin collections.

Another interesting part of this rifle is the magazine. Note that it contains what I would call a swivel filler plug. Obviously, prior to the manufacturing of new magazines beginning with the M-91 sixth configuration around but likely before 1909, with riveted pins through the previous swivel holes, a unique threaded filler plug was installed as part of a refurbishment/upgrade. I can only speculate that the original rifle had a sling slot cut into the butt stock to accommodate the new sling. This stock, of course, is not that M-91 stock.

Stock

This stock is, yet another interesting part of this rifle . This is a Russian M-44 stock that has been around but never refurbed by the Russians. It is loaded with typical and some unusual cartouches not found on typical M91/38's or M-44's for that matter. It was not deeply sanded by the Czechs which left a multitude of Russian stampings and cartouches. Of particular interest to me is a small but clear and deep Izhevsk Post 1928 arrow in triangle on the left butt stock. This is the first time I have ever seen this stamping probably because the Russian late refurbs were sanded quite deep. The stock does not look to have been restained other than perhaps during an early refurbishment and subsequent reissue. Only lightly sanded and a coat of finish. It looks like a typical non-refurb stock with the Czech touch. I might note that I could find no Czech stampings anywhere on this stock which leads me to believe that they did very little to it. The handguard end caps are steel and not painted. This could be a very early example (maybe prototype) of the M91/38 before they began milling stocks. They could have been using what carbine stocks they had in inventory or perhaps Russia provided stocks from unserviceable M-44's and/or M-38's to kick start their production. This is a most unusual stock. The thought of "bubba" came to mind but I'm convinced that this is the way the rifle came in the country. Although I have a few M91/38's that are stamped M-91 which was clearly a mistake by Century, it is not hard to envision that unless you looked closely at the barrel and receiver of this rifle, it could easily be confused for an early refurbished M-44. It fooled Century (although they have been prone to mistakes from time to time). And let's not forget that when these imports were coming in I would bet that Century had no idea what they were. So, if it looks like an M-44, stamp it an M-44. The original owner probably paid $40 for it and probably didn't know what it was.

Bolt

This bolt is Imperial but not arsenal stamped. The stamping on the bolt smacked of other similar stamping I have seen. It isn't a "YY" but a "уц" which is an abbreviation for учебный центр, translated - "training center". I have seen posts in the past where "YY" was an indication of a training facility or a training rifle but no one could find a definitive answer. It seems we have one now - the letters were read incorrectly making the abbreviation impossible to determine. So, I'm going to say that the bolt (body) was probably from some sort of training M-91 in a different lifetime.

Comments and Speculation on the Czech "star"

I have questioned the star stamped on the barrels of these rifles as being a Czech country code or symbol. I think I may have found the answer. My thoughts on this revolves around the history of Czechoslovakia. Even though the Czech Communist Party had been around since the early '20's (actually banned in 1938) they never established a political foothold until 1945 when a Communist Prime Minister was elected (first time that ever happened...). The Communist government was placed into power in the Communist coup d'état in 1948. Want to bet if Russia was pulling the strings here... The Czech Communist Party symbol was a star with KSC (Komunisticka strana Ceskoslovenska) in it (see attachment in original post). Since all this transpired about the same time we think these M91/38's were built, it might stand to reason that this is what the star on the barrel designates. This would also go a long ways to explain the "buddy, buddy" relationship that the Soviets now had with the Czechs that would support a contract from Russia to the Czechs to build this rifle and provide stocks for future M-44's and M91/59's. Not an arsenal mark but a political mark indicating that the rifle was built under the KSC in Czechoslovakia. I believe this could be the smoking gun that puts the controversy around the barrel star to sleep.

This only proves once again, that each one of these rifles has a story, one to serveral things unique and can be a combination of anything with the exception that they are all Imperial barrel/receiver groups. Ok, I heard about the M91/30 based M91/38 but I have to see that one to believe it.

I feel honored to have this rifle in my possession and just be able to handle it and maintain it for prosperity. For many of you, this is probably the first time you have seen one of these. This is a rare piece of history that doesn't come along very often. This could be one of the first comprehensive looks at one of these early examples. So, for your enjoyment...
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
Discussion Section
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.