Picked up a 91/30 last night!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
outdooraddict

Picked up a 91/30 last night!

Post by outdooraddict »

I've been going back and forth on searching out something a bit rare, but I couldn't hold out any longer.

Ended up grabbing a '42 Izhevsk. I'm unsure if I have a Tula bolt as it has a star stamped on it. I'll try to get some more pictures up soon.

The pictures are pre de-cosmoline. Was wiped down in the store. Bore appears to be flawless

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Picked up a 91/30 last night!

Post by bunkysdad »

It never hurts to buy a reasonable nice refurb rifle, and having at least a couple of wartime rifles is never going to hurt. As we get further in years from WWII and our heroes are quickly passing due to age, the significance of these rifles take on a new special meaning, in my opinion. You can keep your eye open for the special ones that you may slowly find, but this 42 is very nice and gives you more opportunity to get out and shoot.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, very nice rifle :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

bunkysdad wrote:It never hurts to buy a reasonable nice refurb rifle, and having at least a couple of wartime rifles is never going to hurt. As we get further in years from WWII and our heroes are quickly passing due to age, the significance of these rifles take on a new special meaning, in my opinion. You can keep your eye open for the special ones that you may slowly find, but this 42 is very nice and gives you more opportunity to get out and shoot.
That's more or less what got me to buy this one. Getting a piece of history in my hands. The things that ran through my mind while cleaning it were part of the fun. Thinking about the factory workers pumping these things out in a time of crisis, all the way down to the production of the pouches and sling. Then shouldering the gun and looking down the sights. I can't imagine what the soldiers that used these thought when they did the same. Very cool to own a piece of history, even it is a very common piece
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Nice rifle there!
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

I believe all this is telling me is its a '42 Izhevsk that's been refurbished?
Am I correct in saying this is a Tula bolt? When looking at the side it looks like material was taken out to remove the old stamp number. There are a ton of other marks on the barrel/stock that I'm researching as well. I think somebody got stamp happy ;)
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

Yes tula star. ..always a good chance too that your other bolt components are from other plants. I have one bolt that has tula, izhevsk, and sestroyesk (no clue if that's spelled right) pieces.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

During refurbishment they may grind off the old number, or sometimes strike through them, leaving the old number and adding a new one. Referred to as force matched.
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

bunkysdad wrote:During refurbishment they may grind off the old number, or sometimes strike through them, leaving the old number and adding a new one. Referred to as force matched.
Yep, that's why I was wondering if it was for sure a tula bolt since it had the star

I know these are some elementary questions, jist want to make sure im interpreting things correctly.

Edit - oops, didnt see uberjons reply..thanks!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. You'll find any number of arsenal and inspection stamps. The arsenals we know, the inspection stamps not so much. Some have been defined but others remain a mystery. Here's some good reading about the refurbishment program. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... index.html
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

Well crap, is this a serious safety issue? Where can I get a new one?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Well that's not good. Liberty Tree has them. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=17 You should probably pick up some headspace guages from Okie Headspace Guages to check it after you replace the Connector Bar. http://www.okiegauges.com/sales.html You can get away with just the Field gauge but most of us have the Field and No-Go. It should be checked from time to time anyway but also upon first purchasing the rifle before shooting it.
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

PM me your address and I'll send you one. I've got a few spares.
Jon
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

musketjon wrote:PM me your address and I'll send you one. I've got a few spares.
Jon
Oh man, I just placed my order! Thanks though, should have checked this thread before hand, ill check and see on canceling it. Would you just want paypal?
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

WeldonHunter wrote:Well that's not good. Liberty Tree has them. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=17 You should probably pick up some headspace guages from Okie Headspace Guages to check it after you replace the Connector Bar. http://www.okiegauges.com/sales.html You can get away with just the Field gauge but most of us have the Field and No-Go. It should be checked from time to time anyway but also upon first purchasing the rifle before shooting it.
Thanks for the information. I ended up being just the field gauge.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Nice 1942 Izhevsk! I like that wartime stock. :thumbsup:
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

I'm sitting here looking up what more of these marks are telling me and I didn't see anything on this backwards R on the stock. Can anybody shed any light on this one?Image
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

That is the initial stamp of Comrade Backwards Rickovitch.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

outdooraddict wrote:
musketjon wrote:PM me your address and I'll send you one. I've got a few spares.
Jon
Oh man, I just placed my order! Thanks though, should have checked this thread before hand, ill check and see on canceling it. Would you just want paypal?
Your personal check would be fine. As of yet I've never been ripped off by any forum member.
Jon
gbeecher65

Post by gbeecher65 »

Nice looking Mosin! I have a '33 Tula. Just bought a sear spring from Liberty Tree. Happy shooting! :biggrin: