US Model 1873 45/70 Springfield

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

US Model 1873 45/70 Springfield

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The first all new made ( no used parts) rifle Springfield turned out in the years after the States War, the Model 1873 45/70 Springfield. This model is the original 1873 rifle made in 1874, excellent shooter with a spotless bore. These are the rifles that fought the Indian Wars, It's hard to calculate the history packed in these rifles, if the history had real weight the rifle would crash through the table.
[img]http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae12 ... ols017.jpg
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: US Model 1873 45/70 Springfield

Post by desdem12 »

That one is pretty 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

and another one :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Very nice Springfield :thumbsup:

My father has an Uberti reproduction Model 1873. Loves to shoot it, but after learning about the history and workings, as he puts it "nothin beats an original". He has been on the hunt to find one, ever since that little comment :lol:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

He shouldn't have a problem finding a Model 1873, or one of it's later variations, he may get sticker shock when he finds it. The Uberti is up near a grand, but most 1873's will go over that.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

There is a trapdoor that has been in a shop here for near a year or more. Think it is around $500 last i checked :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's a great price, but do your homework before buying, there are a lot of trapdoor parts around, and people have put together parts rifles from odd bits of this and that.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

x
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

That is a real beauty, Sir. The history packed into that rifle boggles my mind.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I love these, if they weren't so expensive I would have 50 of them :)
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

I have no relatives (that I am aware of) that have served in the US military, with the exception of an uncle who was a Marine in Vietnam.
I have Gallowglass heritage from the MacLeods, but this is a firearm forum.
My Crow (Absaroke) ancestors, though probably used rifles like these; both working for and against the US military.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very likely if they were working for the military. If they were against them the probably had Winchester rifles, Spencers, or Henry's. The native American warriors recognised the value of a repeating firearm right away, it took the Army until 1892 to figure that out.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

My Father has a Winchester 1873 in 32-20, that he inherited from my Grandfather. I'd love to get my hands on it. No family heritage there, my Grandfather was the guy that you went to in town when you needed money, so he aquired a large collection of: firearms, cars, watches, tools, etc; kind of an unofficial pawn broker, he actually ran his own roofing company, a couple of resteraunts, a nursery school, etc.
The collection also includes a Winchester 1895 in .405 WCF and a 1728 French musket, but I digress.
I would assume that the Crow, being used a scouts by the U.S. Calvary against their old enemy, the Blackfoot, used whatever was issued to them or they could get their hands on.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Winchester '73, :) Every lever rifle collectors dream .
Theodore Roosevelt