Yugo Mauser Pricing Question

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
mosinmike17

Yugo Mauser Pricing Question

Post by mosinmike17 »

Hey all,

Thanks to all for your advice on picking up the Mosin M38 in the other forum for 160. There's an 8mm Yugoslav Mauser on the rack at Big 5 here. It's priced at 299. I held it, the bolt looks good, the rifle is a solid wood finish, and it's definitely Yugo. The seller didn't know much about it, just that its headspace is good, firing pin is good, and rifling (I checked) is good.

I can't afford it yet and there's a good chance Bubba will beat me to this baby before pay day. However, assuming it is still on the rack, do I want it for that price? Do these have any chance of gaining value?
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
dou44

Re: Yugo Mauser Pricing Question

Post by dou44 »

i sold a yugo k98 2 weeks ago for $320 and i got it almost 2 years ago for $200. the prices will keep going up but how muck is anyone's guess.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You should be able to get it on sale for $199 if you talk to the right person. I do a lot of dealings with big 5 and i ask them about sales and such. Those were just on sale like last week or so. I would ask them if they might do a late sale price on it. If not try to see if they will give you a sale price on one that you transfer from another store. We have 2 stores here and i use them to my advantage. I bet if you get to know them they might be more than helpful. I know for a fact that those are $199 on sale at the stores here so i bet it is the same there. Good luck and hope they will deal with you. :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

desdem12 wrote:You should be able to get it on sale for $199 if you talk to the right person. I do a lot of dealings with big 5 and i ask them about sales and such. Those were just on sale like last week or so. I would ask them if they might do a late sale price on it. If not try to see if they will give you a sale price on one that you transfer from another store. We have 2 stores here and i use them to my advantage. I bet if you get to know them they might be more than helpful. I know for a fact that those are $199 on sale at the stores here so i bet it is the same there. Good luck and hope they will deal with you. :D :D
Bought my 91/30 from them last week, been in there so many times since I'm already on a first name basis with half of the staff. I'll stop in tomorrow and see if the boss will give me a sale price. Thank you for the tip off.

Regarding the guy above who said he sold one for a 120 profit, good job, thanks for the heads up. Definitely one worth adding if it doesn't drop off the rack.
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

These are regular stocked guns for big 5 if that one is gone ask if they will order a couple more. I always ask if they will order 2 so i can pick between them. I have bought a lot from them so they do it everytime, an added plus is that the gun people are good looking knowledgeable girls at both stores. THey always give me a call when something they think i like comes in and one store will hold it for me before they even find out if i want it. I have nothing bad to say about big 5 as you can tell. They are a pleasure to work with. :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

desdem12 wrote:These are regular stocked guns for big 5 if that one is gone ask if they will order a couple more. I always ask if they will order 2 so i can pick between them. I have bought a lot from them so they do it everytime, an added plus is that the gun people are good looking knowledgeable girls at both stores. THey always give me a call when something they think i like comes in and one store will hold it for me before they even find out if i want it. I have nothing bad to say about big 5 as you can tell. They are a pleasure to work with. :D :D
Yep, definitely will miss them when I make my run for the south again. :toast:

Good outfit they run there. Real oddball selection behind the counter in milsurps, so I always find myself like a kid in a candy store, even before I made any purchases. They still have the Garand and SKS...if only maxing out my credit card wouldn't kill me. haha