M91/38 1892 Châtellerault

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
neal45

M91/38 1892 Châtellerault

Post by neal45 »

When the 1891 Three Line Rifle (Mosin) was introduced, the Russian arsenals made a few marked 1891. Because they realized that the arsenals needed upgrading for the production numbers required for the Mosins, a contract was let with the Chatellerault arsenal in France to help with production.

Discussion Section

This Mosin was sent to Russia in the first shipment from France (from serial number research.) There are no markings to identify service in the Russo-Japanese War, WWI, or WWII but many times they served without picking up any specific markings such as capture marks, etc. After WWII, the Czechs converted this Châtellerault M91 into a M91/38 by shortening the barrel, changing the sights, and in this case, putting it into another M91 stock that has been modified to carbine length. If it was in an 1892 stock, there would be a repair for the original finger rest behind the trigger guard. Note that this stock has no crossbolt. The M91 stocks were modified to carbine length and grooved for a folding bayonet like the M44. Close examination of most (all) M91/38s will show where a folding bayonet was removed.

Many 91/38s are found in late M44 or M38 stocks.

The metal is lightly pitted overall - on the parts that are above the wood line. I nick named this Mosin "Smallpox."

Most 91/38s have a single digit number stamped on the barrel shank similar to this 4 between the words Ordinance and Factory. Digits I have seen have been 1, 4, 5, and 7.

The 1892 Châtellerault did not have a dated tang. The marking on the side is typical Châtellerault.

Underneath the wood line, the metal is like new. Note the grease plug (screw head) only found on very early Mosins.

This carbine was imported incorrectly as a 91/59.

Sights are upgraded from the M91 to carbine.

M91/38 have force matched parts so they are "all matching." Some bolts are stamped, others are electro pencilled.

The buttstock end has some interesting markings.

The Czech Mosins will have these marks on the receiver:

I have two 91/38s; the other is an 1897 Tula. I have been interested in these peculiar carbines for a few years and have established a database detailing descriptions and selling price if I found them on an auction. I currently have 67 91/38s in the database but up to three may be duplicates. There are 41 Izhevsks, 15 Tulas, 7 Sestroryetsks, and 4 Châtelleraults. The latest date I have found is 1915. I have also been interested in crossbolts in the old modified M91 stocks. Of the 16 M91 stocks I have observed, 6 have no crossbolt and 3 have wood crossbolts. This is very unusual since almost all Mosins were updated to steel crossbolts well before WWI.

Discussion Section