1917 Remington Pawn Shop Find

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
B24

1917 Remington Pawn Shop Find

Post by B24 »

Stopped by the pawn shop this afternoon to see what they might have and to my
suprise he had a 1917 Remington M91. My recent 1928 Tula buy from Classic looks
like a new rifle compared to this one but it doesn't look half bad. The numbers do
not match. The floor plate and butt plate are lined out and restamped and the bolt
is a different number altogether.

Very little blueing and a little rust, there is some old minor pitting where the metal
meets the wood. The stock is in decent shape and has the split barrel bands held
together with a screw. I think it is counterbored, the rifling looks strong but the
bore was dark. There was no cleaning rod. No import marks.

Asked about the price and the guy said he didn't really know and then said $200 as if
he was asking a question.

Ok mosin experts I need some advice. What do ya'll think this rifle is worth based on my
description? I was thinking about offering $175. Also told the guy I had a 500 round case
of Wolf .223 and he seemed interested. I gave $75 for the .223 several years ago.

thanks.......Gregg
racerguy00

Re: 1917 Remington Pawn Shop Find

Post by racerguy00 »

Unchopped Remington as you described would be an instant buy for me for $200 but offer the $175. I dont usually say that with no pics.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

BUYBUY probly. I would sell the case of 223 and get the rifle and some money from him. 500 rounds for $450 :thumbsup: MAke sure it is not cut and is it a finn or a Balkans? Not cut and all stock there I would definitely buy it at 175 and probly at 200 also :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Obstreperous

Post by Obstreperous »

The ammo is worth a lot more than $200 even Wolf ammo
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

I concur with :pointup: . I wouldnt do a straight up trade. Either sell the ammo then buy the rifle or trade the rifle to him for the 91 and cash. What you paid for the ammo has no bearing in this , what its worth now is all that mattters. However you do it, the rifle is definitely worth $200.
Jim

Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:pointup: :pointup: :pointup: What He said!
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

A pawn shop isn't going to give you what the ammo is worth, but if you think you could sell it on your own quick enough to still not miss the rifle then sell it outright. We have local Facebook ammo and gun groups that are selling ammo like crazy, and asking crazy prices. I could agree or disagree as to whether to do a straight up trade. It depends on how nice the rifle is and how bad you want it. Personally I would walk in with about 250 or 300 rounds of the ammo and offer a even trade. Or better yet, keep the ammo and go in with some cash. Offer 150.00 and see what happens.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would already own that rifle at that price.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah, when he said 200.00 it would have sounded like wings flapping as I reached for my wallet.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sounds like a Balkan rifle, but with no import marks SCW is more likely.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Im looking forward to pictures that will hopefully be posted. The OP may have missed a small barrel import stamp.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They could stamp that import mark very small, and very lightly, I have missed them a few times myself. Too bad they can't still do it like that today.
Theodore Roosevelt
A_King89

Post by A_King89 »

Dang how much is .223/5.56 goin for up where yall are at?! I just paid $50 for 100 rnds of it this past weekend... $450 for 500 rounds sounds super steep to me. Jus sayin 8-)
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

:1934 Tula 91/30:
:1944 Izhevsk M44:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I wouldn't know because it's been over five months since I have seen so much as a single box available for sale in a gunshop here, never mind whole cases.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Only local shop that has any is selling wolf for 15.99 for 20 rounds.
A_King89

Post by A_King89 »

Wow thats crazy.. yeah one of the gun shops down here sells em at 50 bucks for 100 rounds.. doesnt seem to be as badly drained as it seems to be where yall are at. Then again im down here in Georgia =D. Gun Friendly South! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Georgia=walking dead country. :D

Im in a pro gun part of PA. Just no selection around here lately.
A_King89

Post by A_King89 »

Haha The Walking Dead is an amazing show ;mywink;
― Thomas Jefferson

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A_King89 wrote:Haha The Walking Dead is an amazing show ;mywink;
We have an entire thread dedicated to it in the OT :)
Theodore Roosevelt
A_King89

Post by A_King89 »

Jus slightly addicted huh haha :mrgreen:
― Thomas Jefferson