New Ex Sniper please comment

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: New Ex Sniper please comment

Post by Darryl »

zeebill wrote:[ Or it was drilled and tapped for a scope and the war ended and it was returned the infantry rifle ranks. That number which is on there and could indicate a scope number is usually farther back on the receiver so I am wondering just what that could mean.
That is the scope number. It is right on the left side of the barrel shank where it should be.

Here is my ex-sniper and scope number.....same as his.

Here is my "real" sniper.....same thing

Now his (copied from first post)

Dolk
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

Definitiely shooting with Minute-of-German accuracy. What was the range?
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
notabiker

Post by notabiker »

i had to sell one just like it and got 300 for it. you did good. please do not re scope it. like they said it has its own history. r ember during WW 2 that rifle was the real deal Russian sniper. it might have seen combat.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

notabiker wrote:i had to sell one just like it and got 300 for it. you did good. please do not re scope it. like they said it has its own history. r ember during WW 2 that rifle was the real deal Russian sniper. it might have seen combat.
You got $300 for an ex-sniper? Wow :shock:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Three hundred bucks! Were did you dig up that su....I mean customer ? :) If he needs a perfectly good used car send him my way :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Whats the range and what type of ammo? You have a great rifle there for an even better price :thumbsup: . VERY NICE :Drool1: !

I went and shot today as well, chilly and windy here but sunny. Took an 1968 M39 "sneak"out to play with and found myself 'bonding' with it.......amazing rifle.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not a sneak, no effort seems to have been made to hide them, the date is right there to see, a Finnish ex soldier on you tube explained that these rifles were built and used for training. Why they had to build more M39's in the 1960's and 70's when they still had unissued wartime built M39's in stock was not explained. Maybe the later built rifles had magic dust sprinkled on them, seems that way when I shoot them, absolutely phenomenal even with me behind the trigger.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

jeremyb wrote:
Idoktr wrote:Going today to test it out.....
I thought about going to the range today, but its only 37 out side right now.. Cant decide if I want to get cold or not....
It got all the way up to 42 today but didn't stop me and forum member mahduk.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Didn't stop me either, but I was working, would have been a nice day to shoot :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Idoktr

Post by Idoktr »

Groundpounder wrote:Definitiely shooting with Minute-of-German accuracy. What was the range?

Range was only 50 yards. Just trying it out today. Next week will try 100 and 200 yards.............
Idoktr

Post by Idoktr »

TopperT wrote:Whats the range and what type of ammo? You have a great rifle there for an even better price :thumbsup: . VERY NICE :Drool1: !

I went and shot today as well, chilly and windy here but sunny. Took an 1968 M39 "sneak"out to play with and found myself 'bonding' with it.......amazing rifle.

Only 50 yards today and used surplus Romianian FMJ. Very dirty ammo !!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Romanian 7.62x54R? I have yet to try any of that, or even see any.
Theodore Roosevelt
Idoktr

Post by Idoktr »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Romanian 7.62x54R? I have yet to try any of that, or even see any.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cool, I will have to keep my eyes open and add some to the ammo collection. Odd that they would use copper washed cases for the 7.62 and lacquer coated for the 8mm.
Theodore Roosevelt
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Nice shooting. You killed him for sure. :thumbsup:
I believe in the right to arm bears.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Idoktr wrote: Stupid question...could this be refit back to a sniper, and if so, how...

Thanks

Stewart
There is no reason to return an ex PU sniper to sniper form. There are to many real PU snipers out there. With PE and PEM snipers I've heard a lot of arguments between well respected collectors on both sides of that argument. Samco snipers that were never pluged and welded, where only the mount and optics removed doesn't bother me though. No real modification needed. I personally am a purist and snipers aren't really my thing, so I have no dog in that fight. I pretty much just skip those threads.
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

Very nice looking Ex-PU sniper! :beek: :beek: :beek:

Looks like it shoots great, too!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Idoktr wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Romanian 7.62x54R? I have yet to try any of that, or even see any.

What are the actual numbers on the headstamp. What's the top number and what's the bottom number. I only ask because no one has Romanian 7.62x54R for sale that I know of unless is old stock. It's possible they misidentified it. I see it all the time. Selling Russian ammo that's actually Bulgarian is the most common one I see. The big circle 10 on the tin is a dead give away but some of these places have no idea what it is.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ah, I didn't think of that, I figured the Romanians must have caught on to the sticky bolt problems with the lacquered cases and switched.
Theodore Roosevelt
Idoktr

Post by Idoktr »

As far as numbers, the only thing on the bottom is 82 ????