Soviet-Sino SKS

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Greasemonkey

Soviet-Sino SKS

Post by Greasemonkey »

Thought you fellas might enjoy this odd one, I found this one over the summer. It's an SKS with a 55/56 Russian Tula star marked receiver, a 4 digit serial,and no serial suffix and a Norinco import marking. What I found out on the SKS Boards, this is one that Russia made for the Chinese and "possibly could" predate the true Chinese Sino-Soviet SKS. There are not many of them documented and seem to be few and far between. The numbers all match and even though it has possible Russian metal, the stock, hand guard and sling are Chinese.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
martin08

Re: Soviet-Sino SKS

Post by martin08 »

Beautiful gun, GM!

You have one of the very few that are still in full carbine length. Most are cut down to the Paratrooper style.

But before I can ascribe to the "earliest" Chinese model, I am going to have to see one that is in original worn bluing, non-import marked, and perhaps papered as a bringback. If these were indeed pre- Sino-Soviet, I think we would have been presented with an example that has some war weary features by now. All examples that I have seen are deep bluing and on Chu Wood stocks vs. the worn bluing and hardwood stocks that are found on the known non-refurbed 1956-1958 Chinese assembled SKS's.

My guess (since China has not released any arsenal data)? These were assembled in the 1980's from left over Russian parts, and exported by Norinco (founded in 1980) for the U.S. commercial market.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Norinco was selling a lot of guns here back then, they couldn't keep up and were shipping anything they could find. Your rifle looks like any of the other Norinkos I remember as far as stock color and overall appearance go. A nice SKS with some interesting markings :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Awesome looking rifle. An sks is definitely on my want list haha

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

martin08 wrote:Beautiful gun, GM!

You have one of the very few that are still in full carbine length. Most are cut down to the Paratrooper style.

But before I can ascribe to the "earliest" Chinese model, I am going to have to see one that is in original worn bluing, non-import marked, and perhaps papered as a bringback. If these were indeed pre- Sino-Soviet, I think we would have been presented with an example that has some war weary features by now. All examples that I have seen are deep bluing and on Chu Wood stocks vs. the worn bluing and hardwood stocks that are found on the known non-refurbed 1956-1958 Chinese assembled SKS's.

My guess (since China has not released any arsenal data)? These were assembled in the 1980's from left over Russian parts, and exported by Norinco (founded in 1980) for the U.S. commercial market.
Ok, now I understand, I think, the receiver being from Russia, possibly predates Sino-Soviet, everything else including the final build was completed at alot later date out of normal Chinese or any left over Russian parts to form a complete rifle.

Sometimes, I wish the Chinese would just come off the all the info on their SKSs, of course that would take the fun out of it I guess :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A very nice SKS :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Very nice gun GM. I'm not sure how this relates but I'll throw this in. A few months back someone had an SKS offered that was stated to have maybe been a Vietnam capture Chinese SKS. It was a truely ugly rifle from a finish standpoint. In fairly rough shape from what I remember. If I can remember where I saw it and find a picture I'll post it.

Edit: Ok I think I found it. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... category=2 I'm not 100% sure this is the one I remember but the coffee is still working it's magic. If I think of another one I'll post it. Oh and as you can see it didn't say captured but that it may have seen action in Vietnam.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

WeldonHunter wrote:Very nice gun GM. I'm not sure how this relates but I'll throw this in. A few months back someone had an SKS offered that was stated to have maybe been a Vietnam capture Chinese SKS. It was a truely ugly rifle from a finish standpoint. In fairly rough shape from what I remember. If I can remember where I saw it and find a picture I'll post it.

Edit: Ok I think I found it. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... category=2 I'm not 100% sure this is the one I remember but the coffee is still working it's magic. If I think of another one I'll post it. Oh and as you can see it didn't say captured but that it may have seen action in Vietnam.
I wouldn't say thats in rough shape, that is character at it's best in my eyes, I've got a '65 blade bayonet arsenal /26\ in the very early 9 million serial that looks almost as new as the one above. One day, I would like to find one with that just found in the jungle look.

Thank for the kind words fellas.
cyknight

Post by cyknight »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
American Gunsmiths: Making things go BANG for over 200 years!
Co-Owner/Gunsmith - Diamond B Gunsmithing.

2-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, 1939 K98, 1895 M1891 Argentine Mauser, 1924 VZ-24, 1917 SMLE, 1942 SMLE, 1933 1895 Tula Nagant, 1958 Type 56 SKS
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Interesting Rifle. Thanks for sharing.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain