Remington Model 10

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Remington Model 10

Post by Rongo »

Was at my favorite Irish auto parts store dropping off some cores & decided to head up to my local gun & bait shop to see what they have. Got up there & found a few nice guns, A Glenfield .22 bolt action for under $100, a cut down Winchester model 12 & this Remington model 10. Price was $149.99 & it looked good. Original finish, good wood, Action operated as it should & was very smooth. Ejector spring looked good, Shell carrier dropped well with good timing & it just felt good in the hands. I asked the guy if the price was firm? He said he would put it at $150 tax included. DEAL!

Not the deal of the Century, but I've always liked the model 10 & you just don't see these everyday.

Ran the serial # when I got it home, and I figure 58,8XX is vintage 1912 or early 1913. I also feel that's correct because later models I've seen have the Remington UMC logo on the top & buttstock.. Remington & UMC merged in 1912. Remington made the model 10 from 1908-1929 with 275,600 made.

Everything looks nice, bluing is starting to develop a nice patina but is still looking good, The wood has no cracks in it save for a chip in the slide. Looks like the wood was re-done at some time but the buttstock is still in very nice shape. Too many of these had been either been replaced or broken. Bonus for me.

Time to take it down, clean it well & inspect & take it to the range with some mild loads.

Also, If anyone has any further information on model 10's I would be grateful for that.

Here's some pics...

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Remington Model 10

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am forever picking up old, but still perfectly good, shotguns of just about any type, that Remington is nice :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

In world filled with plastic/nylon /other synthetic firearms that is a real treat to look at. When I qualified last time with a shotgun I was handed a Remington 870 with a m-16 type 6 position butt stock and a synthetic forearm. Finish was that baked on stuff that going on with without the underlying surface being polished. I understand it's practical but there is something about a blue steel receiver in a nice piece of walnut. Enjoy.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Ironnewt wrote:In world filled with plastic/nylon /other synthetic firearms that is a real treat to look at. When I qualified last time with a shotgun I was handed a Remington 870 with a m-16 type 6 position butt stock and a synthetic forearm. Finish was that baked on stuff that going on with without the underlying surface being polished. I understand it's practical but there is something about a blue steel receiver in a nice piece of walnut. Enjoy.
Thanks IN. 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Those old pumps can make a noise when you rack a round in them that is totally unmistakable to a burglar! ;)

That is a nice one. 8-) 8-) 8-) \

Are you going to leave it like it is, or do something to it?

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

dolk wrote:Those old pumps can make a noise when you rack a round in them that is totally unmistakable to a burglar! ;)

That is a nice one. 8-) 8-) 8-) \

Are you going to leave it like it is, or do something to it?

Dolk
Yep... It has an evil sounding slide. Haven't done much with it yet. Been casually looking for some mild loads & have yet to disassemble it for inspection. I'm falling behind with getting my new toys to the range. When I worked 3rd shift a few years ago it seemed I had tons of free time during the day. Now? None whatsoever. When I get home from work I just want to put my feet up... & this time of year it's dark by 6PM. Can't win. :roll:

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It is a real steal. The look of the metal and wood is perfect like it is. It makes me think of my old Remington 22 rifle I bought recently. It was from around 1939. I love pre-war Remingtons.
cyknight

Post by cyknight »

That's a great find. I inherited my dad's old Model 12 Winchester when he passed away; they sure don't make 'em like that anymore. There's nothing like fine wood and steel together; synthetic, while durable, IMO doesn't have the soul that wood does. :)
American Gunsmiths: Making things go BANG for over 200 years!
Co-Owner/Gunsmith - Diamond B Gunsmithing.

2-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, 1939 K98, 1895 M1891 Argentine Mauser, 1924 VZ-24, 1917 SMLE, 1942 SMLE, 1933 1895 Tula Nagant, 1958 Type 56 SKS
knssrtrd

Post by knssrtrd »

Really clean looking action nothing but smooth steel. Always desired one right up there with the Model 31 with me.