CZ52 versus Nagant Revolver, Advice please

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
taylorcraftbc65

CZ52 versus Nagant Revolver, Advice please

Post by taylorcraftbc65 »

Happy Veteran's day everyone! I have the opportunity to pick EITHER a CZ52 in 7.62X25, or the Nagant Revolver. The Nagant is cool because it would compliment my Finn, but we don't have WW2 re-enactments in the El Paso area. But I still think that the operating principals of the pistol are pretty cool, especially when you figure out when it was designed.
The CZ is cool to shoot, and if you handload the ammo for it, the 7.62X25 actually hits about 100 ft/lbs HARDER that a 230 grain hardball from a .45 caliber 1911 pistol.
The question with THAT round is this. My Sierra manual says that it is tough to form the brass for that caliber, and the military ammo in non reloadable I have been told. Does ANYONE make reloadable virgin brass for the 7.62X25? If so, WHO???
Back to the Nagant revolver, what caliber does IT shoot, and it is probably TOUGHER to reload for, I would guess, am I correct?
Brie
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: CZ52 versus Nagant Revolver, Advice please

Post by Darryl »

7.62 x 38r for the Nagant. Some shoot .32s&w longs out of it.

If you are reloading, the Nagant is much harder to do. It can be done, but it is really different. Brass is very hard to find and you can't reload surplus rounds (Berdan).

The trigger on a Nagant is pretty tough to pull. My son had a couple of them and they are terrible on the trigger. I've heard that before also.

I don't own a CZ52, so I can't say much about it, but I think I would get the CZ52.

Dolk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

The Nagant is a nice compliment piece for the MN collector but a shooter it is not. I have had one for almost 3 years and have no intentions of shooting it. It just looks cool. There are tons of them around and the 52's are getting harder to come by. Get the 52 IMHO.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yes there is brass for both the 25 and the nagant. The brass is usually snapped up fast for the tok. Winchester also makes ammo for the tokarev. They have it listed at midway, not sure of the brand. Probably also get it at grafs. The nagant is harder to start but once you so it a few times you wil get the hang of it i'm sure. Save your self the heart ache and get both :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: But in my opinion the CZ52 is harder to come by than the nagant and just a flippin blast to shoot so i would start with it. BUT, I already have a cz52 and love it and don't have the nagant yet :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The only reason to want the Nagant pistol is for the history. (which is a plenty good reason) They are expensive to shoot and the damn triggers need three fingers to pull, and that in single action. In DA I would stand a better chance throwing the damn things at a target then shooting at it. These guns have nothing going for them as a firearm; they have to be one of the worst revolvers ever made. I had one for a while and was glad to pass it on. It is one of the few guns I have gotten rid of that I don't miss. Well, don't miss too much; I have been looking at them again to compliment my Mosin collection. :roll:

If you want something to shoot, get the CZ. If you want to enhance your Russian firearm collection, with a wall hanger, get a Nagant, after all it is only $100.00.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
taylorcraftbc65

Post by taylorcraftbc65 »

THANKS GUYS,
I used to have a CZ52 before Tee got hurt and we had to sell all our guns. I really liked shooting it, and back in 1994 when I bought it, the thing only cost me 70 dollars new. NOW it will require saving for, as around here in El Paso, they go for 250 to 300 dollars.
It is good to see that Winchester is making reloadable ammo for it, if I get one, I'll get a set of dies for it.
Brie
MoSEEN.Nut

Post by MoSEEN.Nut »

If you can get both go for it. If not I guess the CZ is first then as soon as possible get the Nagant as the price is right. I have made a couple earlier posts on a really nice 1935 double dated (1951) MO Nagant and it is fun to shoot up to a point. It is NOT a .38 special S&W for shooting. I have fired one box of 50 new production through it and it is quite unique. Actually fired fairly accurate in a short indoor range using single action. DA you only do just to see what 20 lbs of trigger pull is like. Then there is the history. The Nagant goes back 115 years and has the unique moving cylinder gas seal. It's just neat to have. I would suggest getting a few boxes of genuine Milsurp Russian Nagant ammo (J&G I think has it) just to go with the Nagant for collecting and when available get PRVI new manufacture to fire a box or two. Basically it's a must have, at least for me, as a Russian Arms (mostly MN's) collector among other things. For the price, you can't go wrong on the Nagant. They are plentiful now but nothing lasts forever especially the prices.
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

I own a CZ-52 and agree with everyone else that it's the better "shooting" choice over the Nagant Revolver. That being said, if you can get both, do it. One for the fun of shooting and the other for the history.
John Wayne as John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

But with the Nagant, you can have one in different locations in your house for $100 a pop. Pretty cheap insurance :biggrin:
entropy

Post by entropy »

Ammo for the 7.62x38R Nagant Revolver is expensive, as is just the brass. Reloadable ammo in 7.62x25 is expensive, as is brass. Non-reloadable 7.62x25 is still cheap. I've owned a CZ52 and shot several Nagants, both with 7.62x38R ammo and .32 S&W Long. Overall, I like the CZ-52 better. I'd lean towards the CZ first, and enjoy range time with it, then get the Nagant revolver; they are fun little plinkers. :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

two things to consider, price and availability of ammunition.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like to shoot. I like to reload. I also like mechanical things and history. If I had to choose between only one, I'd choose the CZ52 and reloading wouldn't factor into my decision at all for either of these. After owning a CZ52 to me it's a must have gun. I love this gun. Getting it asap is a good idea because the price keeps rising. I don't need to shoot it alot, as I have others for that. But I love to take it along when shooting my modern handguns. Now speaking of mechanical marvels, for a old revolver, the Nagant is amazing. A forward moving gas sealing cylinder? Wierd but cool ammo, with the option of easy to reload for 32 S&W long? Who wouldn't want this in their Russian collection? They are 80 years old, milsurp, and like brand new for 100 bucks. That's not a hard decision to get this one a little later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice black medallioned MkII, bunkysdad! :vcool:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Thanks. It belonged to a friend at work. It was his ex wife's grandfathers and was not shot much if any. I bought it from him recently.
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

Took the CZ-52 to the range this past Saturday and put nearly 150 rounds through it. Not one misfire or jam, and the gun was barley dirty. This gun was very accurate at 25 yards. All I need know is some JHP ammo for home defense. All I can find locally is FMJ from Prvi Partison at $18/box.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
dou44

Post by dou44 »

you could not give me a cz52 :lol: but i do have 3.
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

dou44 wrote:you could not give me a cz52 :lol: but i do have 3.
Dou44,

Very nice! What is that 4th one? A CZ-82 or 83?
dou44

Post by dou44 »

it is a cz82 and they are vg guns .i have never had a problem with mine. i use it for my carry gun sometimes if i do not feel like carrying my sc xd40
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

entropy wrote:Ammo for the 7.62x38R Nagant Revolver is expensive, as is just the brass. Reloadable ammo in 7.62x25 is expensive, as is brass. Non-reloadable 7.62x25 is still cheap. I've owned a CZ52 and shot several Nagants, both with 7.62x38R ammo and .32 S&W Long. Overall, I like the CZ-52 better. I'd lean towards the CZ first, and enjoy range time with it, then get the Nagant revolver; they are fun little plinkers. :)
+1
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
cyknight

Post by cyknight »

Rongoman wrote:
entropy wrote:Ammo for the 7.62x38R Nagant Revolver is expensive, as is just the brass. Reloadable ammo in 7.62x25 is expensive, as is brass. Non-reloadable 7.62x25 is still cheap. I've owned a CZ52 and shot several Nagants, both with 7.62x38R ammo and .32 S&W Long. Overall, I like the CZ-52 better. I'd lean towards the CZ first, and enjoy range time with it, then get the Nagant revolver; they are fun little plinkers. :)
+1
The first Nagant I had, lasted two days (I think I told this story here before). A customer of mine saw it and bought it (he's my lawyer, couldn't say no!). The second and latest one I have (both are Tula's) has a great trigger pull, much lighter than the first one. I shoot .32 H&R Mag.'s through it, great round, plenty of velocity and mass to be a serious self-defense round. I've never bought or even fired any of the 7.62 Nagant ammo. From what I've read, there's little if any difference in performance. Guess I'll just stay with the .32 H&R Mag. and enjoy it. :)
American Gunsmiths: Making things go BANG for over 200 years!
Co-Owner/Gunsmith - Diamond B Gunsmithing.

2-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, 1939 K98, 1895 M1891 Argentine Mauser, 1924 VZ-24, 1917 SMLE, 1942 SMLE, 1933 1895 Tula Nagant, 1958 Type 56 SKS