M44 Failed Bullet Test

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Comrade_Evil_Scooter

M44 Failed Bullet Test

Post by Comrade_Evil_Scooter »

I recently bought a 1944 M44 that appeared to be in good condition (after what I have seen in my area the past few years). However, the shop did not have any 7.62X54R to do a bullet test. After a couple of days, I finally found a couple of boxes. Unfortunately, the barrel didn't even come close to passing the test. My question: Is the rifle still safe to shoot for the cool fireballs in the evenings or is it a safe queen? Pics attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: M44 Failed Bullet Test

Post by millman »

Post a close up down the muzzle. It might just have a counter bore. Regardless it should fire fine, but accuracy will suck if it's really that worn.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Comrade_Evil_Scooter

Here are a few muzzle photos. tried my best to capture the rifling without a bore light. If I don't have accuracy, I have the old Swede M96 Mauser for that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No way it has that much wear that it would swallow the entire case neck. That rifle has a counterbore to correct wear in this area. Pretty common thing to find on these. A counterbore just moves the crown down into the bore by 1/4-1/2" or so.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Looks like a counterbore. It should shoot pretty good.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Comrade_Evil_Scooter

Thank you for the quick responses. It has put my mind to ease. I'm excited to join the Mosin Owners club and to test it at the range in the next couple of weeks
trunnion69

Post by trunnion69 »

Looks like a counterbore to me too. Shouldn't be a problem to shoot.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I believe that if you get it in the right light, and look down the barrel, you will see a clearly cut shelf within the first inch of the muzzle. The old rifle may be as accurate as you are. The counterbore is a good thing, not a bad thing.

The rifling at the muzzle was more than likely worn away because of poor cleaning technique with that steel cleaning rod.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The bullet test really isn't a tell all in regards to accuracy. I have a few rifles with worn out crowns & no Counterbore that shoot tight groups. The test you need to concern yourself with is checking headspace. If you don't already have one; Go get yourself a good No-Go or Field gauge.

Congrats on your nice M44!!!! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

As above... Normal counterbore. The rifling looks fine behind the counterbore. The gun will shoot fine. Just as well that they didn't have any .54r ammo for you to do a so-called "bullet test". :lol:

Gun looks pretty nice. Congrats :thumbsup:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Here's an example of what a counterbored barrel looks like. This one was posted some years back on this site, by a member called JayPoc. Shows an extreme counterbore, but gives a great visual of it.

https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/ ... hp?t=23494
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Comrade_Evil_Scooter

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:45 am I believe that if you get it in the right light, and look down the barrel, you will see a clearly cut shelf within the first inch of the muzzle. The old rifle may be as accurate as you are. The counterbore is a good thing, not a bad thing.

The rifling at the muzzle was more than likely worn away because of poor cleaning technique with that steel cleaning rod.

Thanks to those who posted pictures on what a counter bore looks like. I checked the barrel more carefully and saw the shelf within the first inch of of the muzzle. This has been a good learning experience on counter bore. So the rifle should shoot just fine. My other Milsurp rifles don't have a counter bore and the M44 is the first one with it
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

counterboaring.jpg

If you are afraid of it, send it to me with 100 rounds and return postage, and I'll test it out for you! :chuckles:

Darryl
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

20" barrel, 19" bore, no problem. You've scrubbed the copper out of the pitts in the bore, a few rounds back thru it and I'll bet it's a good shooter. I have a '36 Tula w/ counterbore that's a helluva shooter. It's a thing done for accuracy that usually works. Yours looks good for a m44. It may be sighted for use with bayonet locked on. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Another interesting thing is that the rifle maybe never have needed to be counterbored. It may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught up in a batch of make-do work for failing economy of the Soviet paradise.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

A few of my Finn counterbored rifles... Some normal counterbores. Some deep. Some shallow..
IMG_8149.JPG
IMG_4266.JPG
IMG_7894.JPG
IMG_7895.JPG
IMG_9607.JPG
Austin26

Post by Austin26 »

How did your M44 shoot? Wow some of those counterbore pictures are pretty extreme. I've only seen a tiny shelf but maybe it's just the camera.

What warrants getting a counterbore? Just smoothed out rifling towards the muzzle? I'm looking to accurize my Mosin depending if I'll keep it and am looking to learn more myself.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

That is a nice looking M44 you picked up - congrats! Let us know how the range visit went!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Austin26 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:22 am How did your M44 shoot? Wow some of those counterbore pictures are pretty extreme. I've only seen a tiny shelf but maybe it's just the camera.

What warrants getting a counterbore? Just smoothed out rifling towards the muzzle? I'm looking to accurize my Mosin depending if I'll keep it and am looking to learn more myself.
It's usually due to cleaning-rod wear at the muzzle,damage to the crown itself is a lot easier to eliminate and would rarely require counter-boring.