Counter Bore

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tpsharp

Counter Bore

Post by tpsharp »

I was reading but do not understand about a counter bore on the rifle. Can anyone explain or better yet have a picture. Thanks
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Counter Bore

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The arsenal drilled down into the muzzle end of your barrel about one inch. They did this with a special drill that is just large enough to remove the worn rifling from this last 1" of bore. They then cleaned it all up and now you have a good bore again. That last 1" takes a lot of wear from the issue cleaning rod scraping in and out, there is a bore guide with the tool kit, it seems many soldiers didn't use it. I do not have a picture handy, it's easy to tell if your rifle has a counter bore. Just take a round of 7.62x54r, insert it bullet first into the muzzle end of your barrel, if when it's stuck in there you can still see some amount of bullet then no counterbore. It the cartridge drops in all the way to the shoulder part of the case, that all of the bullet, and some of the actual cartridge case is fully inserted into the muzzle then you have a counterbore.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tpsharp

Post by tpsharp »

Thanks I was thinking it was inside the camber end.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Wow Dolk. That is a great bore shot. How did you do it? Special camera?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Sometimes they are deep and sometimes very shallow like on this 1943 Tikka M91.
tpsharp

Post by tpsharp »

I checked both of my rifles and they are not counter bored. Thanks for the information very helpful.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Just remember, a counter bored rifle does not effect the desirability of the rifle to a collector, only those who are miss informed assume a counter bored rifle as bad.
Kollaa kestää
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That's right, a counter bore is just another piece of the history of such firearms. And it sure will protect the crown from any further issues should you happen to accidentally ding your barrel.
wolfhollow

Post by wolfhollow »

Lee-online wrote:Just remember, a counter bored rifle does not effect the desirability of the rifle to a collector, only those who are miss informed assume a counter bored rifle as bad.
I used to think that and passed up quite a few rifles
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

Now I know. Once again great info on this forum.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
A J

Post by A J »

wolfhollow wrote:
Lee-online wrote:Just remember, a counter bored rifle does not effect the desirability of the rifle to a collector, only those who are miss informed assume a counter bored rifle as bad.
I used to think that and passed up quite a few rifles
Me too. I passed up a nice $90 Mosin a couple years ago because it was counterbored. Yes, I'm an idiot! :cry:
finloq

Post by finloq »

As has been said many times: I'd rather have a counterbored rifle then a rifle that is not counterbored but needs to be.

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Y'all have forgotten Psalms 20, verse 14. I always look askance at a counter bore when I'm buying and negotiating a price. Once the purchase is complete it makes no difference to me.
finloq

Counter Bore

Post by finloq »

Touche

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The most effective counter bore is to change the subject.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
JayPoc

Post by JayPoc »

This one goes back over 1.75 inches! :big shock:

http://gallery.connectedbypets.com/data ... erbore.jpg
finloq

Post by finloq »

Ivan fell asleep at the drill

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

My first m44 had a counter bore and at the time I bought it I had no idea what it was, so I researched it to find out why it had such a cool looking hole in the barrel.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

I need to keep this in mind.