Chinese #53 Carbine

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Celt

Re: Chinese #53 Carbine

Post by Celt »

rideandslidejim wrote:So whats your opinion on refinishing the stock ?

Jim
:bang: :bang: :bang: :umno: :bang: :bang: :bang: :umno: :bang: :bang: :bang:

That thing a beauty just like it is. Just clean the grime off and lemon oil it.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Refinishing the stocks on milsurps is something we do not support unless it's a matter of stripping poly off one that Bubba messed up. The stock already looks exactly as it's supposed to.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Jim (Junk Yard ) and forum members.

When i say refinish, i mean trying to remove any ageing and dirt, to reveal the beuaty of the original wood. I have no plan to do any sanding as i "do not" want to remove any markings or signs of it's history, just clean it up !

I want to conform to the forums rules, so opinion please ! Someday i hope to help other "newbies" as much as you all have helped me !!!

Thanks Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Kotton Klenser, Google it and it;s there, I use it on very old Victrola finishes, it will not harm the original finish, but will dry it up some, so feed the wood some lemon oil once done cleaning it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Spent most of today cleaning Mo Sin Lee ( #53 ). As Junk Yard said , looked more like axle grease than cosmoline, but got all the "coating " off with mineral spirts and scotch brite. Was a little rust here and there but no biggy, then lubed everything before and after assenbly ( i'm a big fan of a product called Super Lube ), great stuff.

The only bad thing is the top barrel cover is cracked,when they put on the front steel nose band it was misaligned and split the wood. So don't know if i'm going to try to repair it or hunt for a replacement. Sorry for not having more pics. but when i got into it didn't think !!

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Ewewwy and gooey :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Tracer51

Post by Tracer51 »

[Chinese 56-B-241c pattern initial bullet
Screenshot 2023-06-20 154809.jpg
speed test carbine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.