Two rounds fired at once

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
optikalillushun

Two rounds fired at once

Post by optikalillushun »

Went out last weekend to shoot some clays, and my SKS followed me along...lol. Anyway, i was shooting and it seemed like two rounds fired with one trigger pull. Verified with my gal that she seen/heard it also. I field stripped it after it cooled and everything was fine (firing pin was loose, no visible signs of anything wrong). So i loaded up a few more strippers and didnt experience it again.

Is it possible i did a "bump fire"? Before we went out this last outing i stripped it back down and cleaned everything again and it looked great.
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
Greasemonkey

Re: Two rounds fired at once

Post by Greasemonkey »

Need a little info, are you using domestic ammo, Remington ect? Soft primers could be the issue.

I would tear the bolt apart(even if the pin rattles at this very moment) and clean it to make double sure it's clean, there could be a small piece of debris somewhere. With the close tolerances in that area it doesn't take something big. Check the firing pin for any damage, gouges, issues with the tip of the pin. Clean the firing pin channel with a pipe cleaner soaked in solvent..brake cleaner, acetone. Don't use oil on the firing pin or in the channel, that attracts dust, grit and grime, it's an endless circle.

The final thing that comes to mind is the trigger assembly. Has the trigger been worked on, altered?? Someone could have tried a trigger job and did it incorrectly, causing an issue with the hammer/sear engagement, which is absolutely no good. This part altered incorrectly can be dangerous.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

back it the early 90's my buddy bought a Chinese sks that did that at the range once. We both thought we counted 3 shots. Our thought was just a worn sear or something. :roll: It never did it again that I am aware of. Weird
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I had a Mossberg .22 that used to run away all the time, never had the SKS do it yet.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

The worst one I ever saw was a Ruger Mk 1 that had never been cleaned. When " Elvis" was done shooting each day, he sprayed it down with one of those foaming, spray cleaners and basically that was it. When it trippled on the guy a second time, I asked the guy if he had ever worked on it. That's when he admitted he'd never cleaned it. :big shock: :big shock: :big shock:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I had a Norinco that woud fire two or three every once in a while; usually when it was hot and dirty. They would fire so fast you would not be certain that it had happened.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Mossberg would just give a small burp and suddenly all my rounds were gone. I got rid of that one and recently reacquired another, but it so far hasn't run away.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
optikalillushun

Post by optikalillushun »

Tulamma from Wal-Mart. It was pretty hot i was just hammerin out rounds lol.
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Did you take apart the firing pin assembly when cleaning after it happened??? Did it ever do this before? Was it dirty?
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Mossy was cleaned regularly, the problem was it's innards were old, and worn, that rifle had seen a lot of use. The new one look like it was used twice and then put away, all the parts show no appreciable wear, and the rifle gives no problems, but it is not one of my regular shooters. I have an air rifle scope on it at the moment, something that I need to take care of.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Mossy was cleaned regularly, the problem was it's innards were old, and worn, that rifle had seen a lot of use. The new one look like it was used twice and then put away, all the parts show no appreciable wear, and the rifle gives no problems, but it is not one of my regular shooters. I have an air rifle scope on it at the moment, something that I need to take care of.
Those old Mossbergs must have some sort of a design flaw. I have seen it happen and have heard about it from quite a few folks. My buddy had one when we were teens, and we thought it was cool.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Eats ammo :)
Theodore Roosevelt
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Mossberg would just give a small burp and suddenly all my rounds were gone. I got rid of that one and recently reacquired another, but it so far hasn't run away.
A model 152, 152k? I've read somewhere that this happened to a few guys with these .22's after many many rounds.

I was reading that forum because my father gave me his 152k... the same one that was the very first gun I ever shot as a kid. The firing pin broke a few years back and since I've been bitten by the gunsmithing and collecting bug, I wanted to fix her up.

Back on topic, my SKS gave me fits when I first bought it. I had numerous Fail To Fire issues. I was also getting pierced primers using Tulammo. Long story short, after many cleanings. etc. I still had a problem. After taking it out one day I didn't have any problems and thought it was fixed. I went to clean it and found the firing pin was stuck forward. I even had a hard time getting it out... turns out the pin bent! So I went out and bought the Murray's assembly and haven't had any pierced primers or failures of any kind since replacement.

I would attribute the rapid fire to the pin being stuck "in the heat of the moment" and then releasing once cooling off a few degrees.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Mossy was cleaned regularly, the problem was it's innards were old, and worn, that rifle had seen a lot of use. The new one look like it was used twice and then put away, all the parts show no appreciable wear, and the rifle gives no problems, but it is not one of my regular shooters. I have an air rifle scope on it at the moment, something that I need to take care of.
I've learned a LOT about some of the old semi-auto Mossbergs recently. The sear was probably worn on that old one. The 152k (as well as others) has a free float firing pin as well, but with regular cleaning as you stated, it is unlikely it got stuck.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Third request for a bolt strip, and check for debris in the firing pin channel, or a bent pin.

The Tula ammo should have a hard berdan primer, so not as much worry as there would be with a soft boxer primer.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Spermgewehr

Post by Spermgewehr »

Brought my Russkie out for the first time months ago and it was doing the same thing. When I took it home I saw the firing pin was stuck in the forward position. I tore it down and the pin was lodged in the hole, I had to get a small punch and eventually a small drill bit (as the punch was not long enough) to be able to force the firing pin out of the channel. I found what appeared to be a small piece of metal (primer?) was stuck inside there. the existing firing pin was pretty beat up and had some burrs along it that made reassembly impossible. ordered a new firing pin from AIM and cleaned out the bolt and channel and havent had any problems since.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Spermgewehr wrote:Brought my Russkie out for the first time months ago and it was doing the same thing. When I took it home I saw the firing pin was stuck in the forward position. I tore it down and the pin was lodged in the hole, I had to get a small punch and eventually a small drill bit (as the punch was not long enough) to be able to force the firing pin out of the channel. I found what appeared to be a small piece of metal (primer?) was stuck inside there. the existing firing pin was pretty beat up and had some burrs along it that made reassembly impossible. ordered a new firing pin from AIM and cleaned out the bolt and channel and havent had any problems since.
I have two Chinese SKS rifles and neither one of them like the Tula ammo. On each of these guns I have had popped and cratered primers with the Tula. The day this first happened, I ceased firing, started inspecting fired cases and broke the rifle down to inspect the bolt and firing pin. I have since switched to Wolf Military Classic in the SKS rifles and have had no further problems. I shoot the Tula ammo in my Arsenal AK and have had no similar problems with it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I shot the Wolf for years in the AK with no problems.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

If it consistently only does two rounds and no more then it could be a problem with the sear engagement. I've seen some FALs with US made FAL trigger groups have a problem called doubling, the notch on the hammer is either improperly cut and maybe to shallow. Basically the vibrations caused by the bolt slamming forward on it's return cycle pop the sear and the hammer drops. Easy way to test this and see if it is happening on your SKS is to insure the rifle is unloaded, take it outside, drop the floor plate so the bolt won't catch on the bolt stop, draw the bolt all the way back and let it fly then take off the dust cover and see if the gun "fired" as in if you hammer has dropped. Do this 4-5 times and if it does it at any point then that's your problem.

Also like others have said, make sure your bolt is sparkly clean as any crud in there can wedge that firing pin.

Also if you are using ammo like Winchester or Remington then that could be a contributing factor as well. US commercial ammo has a much softer primer compared to Russian military ammo which the gun was made to fire. Wolf, Tulammo, Brown Bear and the like have harder primers and would probably be the best thing to shoot to avoid soft primers.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I have seen more and more issues with Tulammo and SKS's lately. Popped/pierced primers seem to be the common problem, strangely AK's are not effected quite as much. Makes me really wonder if it's not a manufacturing change in the primers, or maybe a slight difference in the firing pin tip of the two. I, myself have only shot a box or two of the Tulammo brand with no issues, back in the spring I started buying/using WPA Military Classic and have been very happy with the results.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.