best paper targets for the Mosin sights?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
breckenridge

best paper targets for the Mosin sights?

Post by breckenridge »

I need some better paper targets to dial in my skill with the Mosin sights. The ones I like for scoped rifles blur into an orange-ish white blob at 50 yards making it hard to keep a consistent point of aim within the target.

I was thinking a black circle like the NRA small bore rifle targets would be better, does anyone have preferred paper targets that work well with the Mosin sights to see what the rifle is capable of?
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
desdem12

Re: best paper targets for the Mosin sights?

Post by desdem12 »

Paper with a black spot, paper plates with a red paint spot. Clay pidgeons work good for me. I used to get full body targets at the ace hardware fer a buck for 2. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have aging eyes, but I still make due with the cheapest 9" paper plates known to man and a $.97 can of black spray paint from Wallyworld. You can easily get 100 targets for $3.00, and I can see them well enough to focus on them at least 80 yards.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

I have been using hunter orange duct tape on cardboard. It's easy to see in all light, and pretty cheap.
andrewd41

Post by andrewd41 »

I like Zombie splatter targets. I can see the holes left by the shots and use various parts of the body to aim and gage my progress with a cheap spotters scope
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Being cheap I always look for an out when paying for paper I will blow holes in. A stack of store brand paper plates with a black sharpie marker to draw a smiley face on, old cardboard boxes cut into squares with a spot of dark paint sprayed onto the plain side. Osama's face printed out onto cheap copy paper, yellowing with age small arms targets I bought for a buck the whole foot thick stack at a tag sale. Car mufflers propped against the target stand, anything to get out of paying full retail for paper targets.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I do not complicate targets or have any favorites. Why make shooting fun a job? Bill :lol:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I figure since this is a WWII combat rifle, I should shoot silhouettes. These 1/4 size silhouettes are fairly challenging targets at 100 yards, unless you are shooting from the bench and then it is fairly easy. I shoot a full size silhouette at 200 yards, because I can't even see the smaller targets at that range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I like the dirty bird/shoot n see. The 6" targets are the same diameter as the front post at 100yards. I figure I', throwing several bucks worth of ammo downrange, I can use a 50cent target. My eyes like the black target and it is easy to see hits. I do have some old spray paint, I may try the small paper plates. I think I still have a can of Ford pickup red! The truck burned but I still have the paint :chuckles:
We have met the enemy and he is us.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

What happened? Did you paint flames on it? :beek:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Josh Smith
ban is not due to his product
ban is not due to his product

Post by Josh Smith »

Hello,

Try these:

http://www.smith-sights.com/resources/target%20pack.zip

I forget what all I put in this, but they're all original designs by yours truly -- edit: I just looked; all original except for the quick'n'dirty 1/4 scale target I grabbed someplace.

Regards,

Josh
KenManiac

Post by KenManiac »

It's not paper, but I have a couple old aluminum fry pans I hang and shoot. Can't hear it hit, but I can see the pan move. I can usually hit 4/5 at 125 yards. Just tonight I picked up a 'self healing' flat bowling pin looking thing. We'll see how long it lasts.

I have more fun shooting things like non-deposit plastic bottles and jugs full of water, cinder blocks, wood blocks, full propane tanks (KIDDING!!) generally stuff that provides immediate feedback or gratification. Laminated transformers with the copper stripped out were pretty dramatic! Clay pigeons are fun.

I have an old dry chem fire extinguisher that has the needle in the red... may have to make a video of that.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D If you want to use paper , use the type that shows the hit with a splash color. The big ones are good up to 200m, using a marker in bright orange/green right behind and over it. This will give you a good grouping idea for 4 groups of five, before you walk out there again. This is for grouping a new one in. And we scope after each shot.
Other than that we are very cheap and effective: Cardboard boxes stabilized with stones and spraypaint dots and 1 ring around head size. At 200m + we take mansize cardboard stiffened with a reusable (if so) stabilizer....works quite well. :D

More fun are the odd computer metal frame, I know, and such....but we always clean up our debris and either dump it or bring it to the recycler; the guys there always chat about the nice holes :D :D :D
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The color splash targets are fun, but they make you pay for them :) Old car mufflers are free , at least here .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desert drifter

Post by desert drifter »

I guess you look for MOM accuracy. Minute of MUffler... :chuckles:

'drif
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt