Help me with Arisaka dates

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Spermgewehr

Help me with Arisaka dates

Post by Spermgewehr »

So my friend and I have each picked up Type 99s in the last few weeks. Could any of the more knowledgeable folks on here provide an estimate of manufacture dates? Mine is a Nagoya series 1, serial no. 82,xxx and his is a Toyo Kogyo series 30 with serial no. 47,xxx Thanks
Greasemonkey

Re: Help me with Arisaka dates

Post by Greasemonkey »

Here is a helpful site on Japanese markings and other Arisaka info. http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Spermgewehr

Post by Spermgewehr »

Have used that link. There's some ambiguity and confusion on my part. What dictates series numbers. For example, it shows Toyo Kogyo running from '39-'45 and starting at series 30. Where do they come up with the series numbers and why wouldn't it start at 1?
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

As I understand, the series number is a block of 99,999 rifles, starting at 1 to 99,999, then next series and repeat.

I'd hazard a guess Nagoya series 1, serial no. 82,xxx would be roughly 1939/1940, as would Toyo Kogyo series 30 with serial no. 47,xxx, I'd guess also around the same time frame. That's purely a guess, just the way I read the chart when I researched my Type 99.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Ok, let me further explain this a bit. Using Radix, scroll down to the Serial Number Section. Look under the column showing Series marks. These are emblems, not numbers. That emblem stamp should be a very tiny stamp about 3/8" left of the receiver serial number. You must put the arsenal emblem and the series emblems together to figure it out. Arsenal emblem is of course right of the serial number. A bit confusing for certain.
Do you have a clean clear photo of that entire line you could post? The actual serial numbers on these rifles mean little as far as determining the history I am afraid. As Greasemonkey said, they were in blocks of numbers.

A Series 1 would probably be 1939 to 1940 as I think Greasemonkey stated. I would think 1939 as they were at war already with a number of countries. Large quantities were produced with intent of replacing the type 38 as soon as possible.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Spermgewehr wrote:Have used that link. There's some ambiguity and confusion on my part. What dictates series numbers. For example, it shows Toyo Kogyo running from '39-'45 and starting at series 30. Where do they come up with the series numbers and why wouldn't it start at 1?
Every Japanese arsenal was issued a block, five or so of kana's or the symbol you see on the rifle to the left of the serial number. Each character or kana as there called is part of the Japanese poem the Iroha written about a thousand years ago between 794-1179 AD instead of numbering the rifles in a numerical series 1-45 the kana's represented the series number, a code of sorts. As Greasemonkey stated each series started at serial number 1 and went to 99,000 . Since they were issued in blocks one arsenal might have started production in 1940 yet was series 30, so a later series number does not automatically mean a late war rifle.
Japanese rifles allow a collector to complete a classic poem with rifles, weapons and poetry mixed. No one is really sure how many rifles from each series survived the war and there was very little commercial import of Japanese equipment most are GI bring backs Attached is an example of a kana a series 35 Toyo Kogyo in the pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933