AK 47 or AK 74?

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Ban-One

AK 47 or AK 74?

Post by Ban-One »

I've been looking around for awhile for a decent AK47 clone and did not know much about the AK74 versions until recently. Does anyone out there own one of each or have fired each? What is your opinion on the comparrison between the two? I have fired plenty of 7.62x39 but I've never shot an AK74. From what I have been reading the AK74 round has a much flatter tragectory and will be much better for longer distances, which is something that isnt a factor since I dont shoot beyond 100 yards and I dont expect pinpoint accuracy from an AK of any type. The AK74 seems to have much less of a recoil, which is something that isnt a factor either since I like my milsurps to kick a bit. I've most likely decided on an AK47 but I figured I would ask.
Last edited by Ban-One on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin08

Re: AK 47 or AK 74?

Post by martin08 »

If you're going to be shooting a lot, the 5.45X39 is a little cheaper to operate. I haven't ventured into the AK-74 variants, as my stock of ammunition is chiefly in 7.62X39 - mostly for my SKS's, but I do have one Romanian WASR 10/63. It's been a blast to shoot, but accuracy is limited to 5MOA at best.

One thing is for sure, you will have many models and price points to consider. Have you narrowed down your choices?
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nope, only got 7.62x39mm AK's.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I've been wanting to venture into the AK-74 realm. But that's all I need is an other caliber to supply. ;)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have fired a Polish Tantal. It fires the 5.45X39 round, I liked it alot. It is almost exactly like shooting .223.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

"It is almost exactly like shooting .223."

Thats kind of why I was leaning toward the 7.62 x 39, I have fired .223 and its a great round but I like more of a kick. I'm not all that accurate a shooter so muzzle climb on rapid fire isnt a concern.

I have been looking into the AK clones for awhile and I have narrowed them down:

Saiga: This is a great quality rifle but I just dont like the looks of the Saiga. I prefer the classic AK 47 look.
Arsenal: Another great quality rifle with a good look but the price tag is too much for me.
Mak 90: This has a good reputation as a solid rifle but there are some magazine compatiblity issues with different manufacturers. Also, I just dont want another Norinco, no particular reason, just a personal thing.
Tantal: I love the underfold look but I have read too many things about the wrong barrels being used on these and keyholing problems. I dont need to spend that kind of money to take a chance on having to send it back to get fixed.
WASR: The WASR 10's seem to be plagued with problems. The WASR10/63's seem to have solved the problems of the WASR 10's but all of the WASR's out there are made by Century Arms. I have read so many bad reports on Century Arms QC problems with the WASR line of rifles that I am steering clear of anything Century Arms has put together. This will be an internet purchase and I wont be able to inspect the rifle before buying and I do not trust Century Arms.
Polish and Yugo Underfolds: These have great reputations and as I said, I love the look of the underfold but I was able to handle one recently and it just didnt feel right. The framing bar made for an uncomfortable cheek weld and the butt end just didnt fit right into my shoulder.

I stumbles across an internet dealer that I was unaware of and it looks like I may be getting ready to commit. Atlantic arms assembles AK style rifles offered by Interarms. From everything that I have read the rifles are solid and reliable with no reported functioning or feeding problems. From the reviews I have read there doesnt seem to be any issues with canted sights, canted gas blocks or other QC issues that Century Arms has. The quality seems to be a step above the WASR's and the price tag isnt going to break the bank for an entry level AK rifle, its only about $100 more than a WASR. Below is a link and I think I may go with the AK47 version rather than the AK74 version. I will post pics if I decide to go with it.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct947.aspx
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Ban-One wrote:Saiga: This is a great quality rifle but I just dont like the looks of the Saiga. I prefer the classic AK 47 look.
Saiga's can be converted to be more traditional looking AKs. If you want a real Russian AK, built in Izhevsk, get a Saiga, and get it converted.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I have shot the Hungarian AMD 65 from Atlantic, the Bulgarian AK74 and even the RPD. All were well made. I want wood furniture, so I eliminated the first two. The price is the problem with the RPD but it is fun to shoot someone elses gun! I have read the same things about the Century builds, and the problem with cheek weld with the side or under folders.
Classic arms has a couple of nice ones too. I have my eye on the converted Saiga. When I get closer to buying It will be either from Atlantic or the current crop at Classic arms. I don't know who did the conversions at Classic yet. You can usually get someone on the phone if you are close to deciding..
We have met the enemy and he is us.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Izhevsk762 wrote:
Ban-One wrote:Saiga: This is a great quality rifle but I just dont like the looks of the Saiga. I prefer the classic AK 47 look.
Saiga's can be converted to be more traditional looking AKs. If you want a real Russian AK, built in Izhevsk, get a Saiga, and get it converted.
Bottom rifle is a .308 Saiga.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

"or the current crop at Classic arms"
Classic Arms has some nice AK's at reasonable prices but buyer beware. Most of the Classic Arms offerings are Century builds. I'm not saying you cant get a decent Century Arms rifle but from what I've learned you really need to inspect the rifle before buying to weed out the defects. To me that just isnt acceptable if I'm going to drop $500+ on a gun.

Nice rifled millman...I like the T-shit as well. :lol:

I checked Atlantic arms and they are sold out and are 4-6 weeks from getting more in stock. Ah well...the hunt continues. There is a gunshow coming up in October so who knows, maybe I'll get a chance to check out some AK's at the show.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

And pot smoking monkeys too. :lol: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Ban-one, it seems like you and i are on the same page. We want an AK as close to the original as possible that works,is not a piece of junk and is not $1000 or more. :shock: I do not want to take a chance on a Century build if it is coming through the post.
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Holy Crap that monkey pic made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Check out the Atlantic Arms website...some good stuff there and it isnt all Century Arms builds. Also check out ATI out of Rochester, NY. They have some milled reciever AK-47's for $600. I dont know if ATI sells to the private buyer or if they just deal with distributors but its worth a look.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I did a quick look at the ATI website. They gave me the name of two dealers in my vicinity that would accept the transfer. The going rate in San Antonio is $30 to do a FFL transfer. I have a C&R for the old gun, if I need a ragular FFL transfer I have been using a local gun engraver. I'll post his link as a new thread.
jfeenin

Post by jfeenin »

We have a Saiga 308 and I have to say it's a reliable rifle with a serious round. Ours is a longer barreled one and we haven't done the trigger conversion yet though. As for the original question of 47 vs 74 my two cents votes for the 47 and 7.62x39 caliber.
Joe - http://all-about-guns.com
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell
[hr]
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Thanks for the input. I've decided to go with 7.62x39 and I've got the AK clones narrowed down to either an Interarms IAC 47 or an Arsenal SGL 21. I will have to keep saving my pennies another couple of months for the Arsenal but it would make a nice Christmas present to myself. I was at a gun store a couple of weeks ago looking at a couple of WASR GP10/63's (with rust oozing out from the rivets and scope rail...ugh) when I spotted an Arsenal SGL 21 on the shelf in all its black poly greatness. Man! I swear it was love at first sight. I'm not sure about the 74 style muzzle break and the Arsenals are a bit over priced but the rifle felt great, fit perfectly and I know it will be reliable for years to come. Yep, I'm doomed.
entropy

Post by entropy »

The few extra $$ for the Arsenal will be well worth it. The only way to go better is have Mark Krebs build one for you. When I win the lottery, he's getting an email and an envelope with a large check in it! :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

Izhevsk762 wrote:Saiga's can be converted to be more traditional looking AKs. If you want a real Russian AK, built in Izhevsk, get a Saiga, and get it converted.
Ten-four! Converting a Saiga is easy and inexpensive. And the end result is a very nice rifle. :thumbsup:

The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!