Help needed

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Vity

Help needed

Post by Vity »

Hi, I got new gun and trying to put together what i got. Definitely, this stock is not original for this gun. The barrel marked1917 Sestroretsk and stock looks like 1895. It has multiple marks on it. One of them looks like original tula with date 1895. However, I don't see hammer there. I see hammer on some parts, for example on bands. Also, there are letters 'A' and 'B'. It's missing standard holes for sling and somebody just drilled round ones and inserted metal rings. Another strange thing is a cut on barrel just above Sestroretsk logo. Never saw it before. It came with leather sling. I search online and suspect it is Austrian captured gun. But I don't see any marks on barrel and reciever. Please, help. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Help needed

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The rings are correct for a stock of that age, the parts mix is normal for pretty much any Mosin that old as they have been refurbished or repaired many times after multiple wars. Nice example, and it still has it's cleaning rod and markings are not defaced.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Vity

Post by Vity »

Thank you. What do you think about my guess about Austrian captured gun ? And what about this cut on last picture? I never saw anything like this before.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

One thing is certain about Mosin Nagant rifles, it is that nothing is certain. You have a nice rifle; congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The cut made so the rear sight clears the barrel? That's common because the sight does tend to hit there on most of these M91's.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

This looks like what used to be called a Balkan rifle. I think you are right that it was an Austrian capture.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Vity

Post by Vity »

I also found example of round mark on wood stock. Looks like it's Châtellerault mark . Here to compare.
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/1893- ... t-11080564
Vity

Post by Vity »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:47 pm The cut made so the rear sight clears the barrel? That's common because the sight does tend to hit there on most of these M91's.
I never saw anything like this. Who did it, Finns?
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

It's difficult to piece your rifle together. It could have been a barreled action that somebody used that stock with. Could have been a WW1 captured rifle that was paired with that stock during WW1 or after WW1. I don't know who the stock maker is. Some people know the stock markings of rifles during that time, I am not familiar with them.
From what I've been told, the "A" marking is Austrian marking. The sling swivels would have been added prior to U.S. import. I don't know if Austrians used different sling set ups. Generally, Austrian captured stocks had the swivel hole drilled in the fore arm, and a bottom swivel added to the butt stock. There may have been different methods depending on what armory the rifle went through. The copper swivel is something added in the states to make up for a missing swivel. As far as I know, the Austrian swivels were also similar to the metal Finnish sling swivels--a swivel held in place by a screw.
The notch in the barrel is fairly common on M91s. I don't know what country did this. I assume it was done to keep the rear sight ladder from hitting the barrel. Your rifle doesn't really have any Finnish traits; so, Finland would not have added that notch.
Mosin Fanboy
Vity

Post by Vity »

Thank you.
yarik_jar

Post by yarik_jar »

I think this wood stock from another rifle. The Austrians marked the captured rifles "A", "AZF", “T”, “W” on the barrel. The top wood cover is also not from this set.