M91/30 from bass pro

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
CobyRed25

M91/30 from bass pro

Post by CobyRed25 »

Brand new member here! My #2 most desirable gun to own was a Mosin Nagant, now I have one. (Number 1 is an M1 Garand, that's already on the way).

My m91/30 is a tula from 1938. I have noticed that the only tula markings on the rifle are the barrel and receiver. That's it. Everything else is Izhevsk. Front sight, stock, every piece of the bolt that is stamped. Literally everything else is Izhevsk. Even the band clips that hold upper handguard. Mag floor plate as well.

I have done a bit of research so far and have found that the floor plate is force-matched, but I don't know about the rest. Interestingly though, the font of the stamps for the bolt, floor plate, and the butt plate all match. Yet I can't find any indication that the other components have been force matched. I don't know. Any and all knowledge shared is appreciated.

Here is a wonderful photo dump :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: M91/30 from bass pro

Post by Darryl »

Nice looking Mosin.

But it is refurbished. Read here knowledgebase/refurbishment.html

Darryl
CobyRed25

Post by CobyRed25 »

The knowledge base here has been incredibly helpful for my research :) I've dug through that A LOT
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Your rifle would have been refurbished in the Soviet Union sometime after WW2 and stored away as one in a crate of 20 similar rifles. No attempt was made to keep the same parts with a rifle and everything but the barrel serial number was force matched after the process. Sometimes they were neat about it and smoothed off the old numbers, and sometimes you get the lazy lineout business. Countless thousands of these post war refurbs were imported from a huge storehouse in Ukraine starting some 30 years ago and continuing until the situation with Russia deteriorated early in the Obama era.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt