Hex receiver date

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jtkrpm

Hex receiver date

Post by jtkrpm »

The barrel on my Hex Reciever C.A.I. Import does not have a date. When did they start stamping the manufacture date?
jtkrpm

Re: Hex receiver date

Post by jtkrpm »

Ok, the letters and numbers are a bit worn off. What looked like 1990 to me, is actually 1920. The hex receiver is also of that era wire no plugged grease hole.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pull the action from the stock, flip it over and look at the rear tang of the receiver where the action screw passes through it. There should be an arsenal stamp and the last two or three numbers of the date the receiver was produced.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jtkrpm

Post by jtkrpm »

https://thinlineweapons.com/7.62x54r/7. ... D/0104.jpg mine looks like this. I’m pretty sure it’s 1920 on mine. Numbers almost worn off. The numbers under the tang are to small for me, it almost looks like 1916.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

1920 is a pretty uncommon date. Lots of turmoil going on during the Russian civil war then. They recycled lots of receivers then so a 1916 receiver on with a 1920 barrel makes perfect sense.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.