I f up.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jtkrpm

I f up.

Post by jtkrpm »

I just realized the hand guard bands go one way. Kinda scuffed up my 91/30 hand guards.
etprescottazusa91

Re: I f up.

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Some oil on the wood.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I imagine that more than one Soviet conscript did the same thing if they were lucky enough to be issued a weapon during the war.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jtkrpm

Post by jtkrpm »

Wondering why it was so hard to reinstall
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Rifle is fine. :D

As mentioned, using some oil should help get them off easier.
jtkrpm

Post by jtkrpm »

It would have gone on just fine if the band was not upside down. Took bites out of the stock most of the way down. Just looks terrible, is all. Put some tung oil finish over the exposed wood looks a little better and is not bare wood anymore.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are hard to install if you put them in upside down, but they are not meant to go on and off easily either. If that was the case they could rattle loose in combat like the original M1891's were prone to do. The Finns fixed the 1891's by putting a small screw, and sometimes pins to hold the band in place. The Soviets solved the problem with the addition of the retaining clips and spring loading the band a bit.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt