1938 Tula refurb.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NotBahroo

1938 Tula refurb.

Post by NotBahroo »

Hi all i found this mosin at my LGS for $450 with pig sticker. i know shes a refurb as the laminated stock and i think? parkerized finish suggests, shes got button bands and a rear recoil lug, the bolt is ratttley once i take it out of the rifle. my other mosin bolts are not like this. if y'all have any more info it would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1937 Tula [SA] marked unrefurbished
1938 Tula Refurbished
1926 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon refurbed
1965 SKS Arsenal 26
1936 S/27 K98k
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1938 Tula refurb.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They didn't parkerize things, we did that with our stuff. Thats just crappy Soviet " bluing" typical of many post WW2 refurbs. These were refurbished at many different facilities over 40 years so styles of blue and stock colors will vary. Mosin bolts rattle, that's normal, and why they resisted the Soviet climate so well. Laminated stocks started to appear late in the war so it might be a wartime used stock, or a replacement. Yours has engraved numbers on everything but the barrel, some had stamped all over, another style variation among the refurbs. Sometimes you will see black paint here and there on the metal hiding bluing sins from sight. Parts tend to be mixed from any arsenal that made the Mosin at any time in it's production history, also normal. Nice rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt