Help needed

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Vity

Help needed

Post by Vity »

Hi, I want to get PU sniper rifle. And one of the option is to get war time ex-sniper and restore it to original configuration.I was offered original 1942 PU sniper scope with mount and not sure if I should buy it. Optics is clear, Metal on the scope painted with greenish-grayish color. The mount has has electrapenciled number, but it still has Tula marks(stars). It doesn't have lower attachment for attaching it to a rifle. It was offered for $400. Is this good price? And the main question for me: is restoring rifle worth it? Or should i look for completed sniper rifle? Please, advise.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Help needed

Post by Darryl »

This is still a reproduction in my mind.
If it is in ex-sniper configuration, than that is what it is. It is no longer a sniper rifle.
You might as well convert a standard Mosin over to sniper in my mind.

It will never be the same as a real sniper rifle and if you thing people can't tell the difference, then you are kidding yourself. It will only be worth the value of the parts in it. Never as a sniper rifle. If you were tosell it, you would have to lie when selling it as a sniper rifle. And, there are ways of tell (as I already said).

Buy a sniper rifle if that is what you want. But bubba-ing up a rifle is a tragedy.

Darryl
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

We would need to see photos of the scope and mount. If I remember correctly, the reproduction scopes all had 1942 dates. So, the scope might be a reproduction. If so, that price is too high, imo.
Mosin Fanboy
Vity

Post by Vity »

Darryl, thank you , I think i will follow your advice.

Willyj73,
I will try to get a picture today. I trust the guy who offers me this scope, he is not trying to screw me. He paid almost the same as he offers me. Even I decided not to do conversion for a sniper rifle, I probably still will buy the scope (nice piece of history) if it's original and this is good price . History is my weakness :-)
Vity

Post by Vity »

Guys, I also have another question for you. I got an ex-dragoon which have rear site welded to the barrel. Is it bubba's work or arsenal done? If it is bubba's, then I'll fix it. But if it's arsenal, then I'll keep it as is. Thank you in advance,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

That is was a full length m91 infantry rifle, not a dragoon, that was shortened to 91/30 length and had the rear sight welded on. There should be a seam and spot welds at the muzzle end where they made a sleeve with the original front sight base on it and slid it over the shorter barrel. Not a bubba job. Pretty uncommon.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

As racerguy stated, rare/uncommon conversion of an M91 to a 91/30.
Mosin Fanboy
Vity

Post by Vity »

Thank you for help, guys, never know...
Vity

Post by Vity »

racerguy00 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:53 pm That is was a full length m91 infantry rifle, not a dragoon, that was shortened to 91/30 length and had the rear sight welded on. There should be a seam and spot welds at the muzzle end where they made a sleeve with the original front sight base on it and slid it over the shorter barrel. Not a bubba job. Pretty uncommon.
Definitely, something was done there, but not sure what...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Vity wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:12 am
racerguy00 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:53 pm That is was a full length m91 infantry rifle, not a dragoon, that was shortened to 91/30 length and had the rear sight welded on. There should be a seam and spot welds at the muzzle end where they made a sleeve with the original front sight base on it and slid it over the shorter barrel. Not a bubba job. Pretty uncommon.
Definitely, something was done there, but not sure what...
That is where the barrel was shortened and a sleeve was installed.
More info can be found towards the bottom of the page--about 3/4 down from the top: https://www.m9130.info/repair-depot-modifications
Mosin Fanboy
Vity

Post by Vity »

Thank you.