1943r 91/30 barrel shank Marking HELP!

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
PapaGunz

1943r 91/30 barrel shank Marking HELP!

Post by PapaGunz »

Hello everyone, first post here. So I bought a Mosin Sniper from a gun show Sunday. And I’ve spent the last couple days lost in Mosin research. The rifle is pretty. But I think I’ve determined it’s either a fake or a repro. Either way I’m happy with it. Haven’t shot it yet. And I don’t have a ton of pics yet. What I do have is a question and a picture of a barrel shank marking that seems odd to me. Looks like it’s got two markings on top of eachother, does this happen, two marks rolled onto eachother? Also, I’ve read a sniper barrel can have a c mark and a K mark. I’ve read if it has a k mark it’s definitely not a sniper barrel, well which is it? The pics I’ve attached, does it look like on the Y mark there is a possible C Mark rolled under/over it? And below the y Mark where the shank and stock meet, what the hell marking is that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: 1943r 91/30 barrel shank Marking HELP!

Post by Darryl »

Any photos of the entire rifle and the scope and mounts and bolt???????

I can tell it it looks like a reproduction to me just based on the few photos you posted.

Sniper rifles were finished a little nicer then a standard M91/30. The machining on that one is pretty rough for a sniper rifle.

If this is an Izhevsk then the marks are to low on the left side of the barrel shank. This is where the scope numbers should go so they raised all the "proof marks" up to the top more.

Can't say for sure without full photos. but my guess is reproduction (fake).

Darryl
PapaGunz

Post by PapaGunz »

Thank you Darryl, I am almost certain it is a repro too. I took it out today and zeroed the scope and shot some groups at 100 yards. Best MOA i got was around 3-4 MOA. Which I was excited about. I didn’t have the mosin in my possession at the time of this posting so I could only send what pics I had on my phone. I’m gonna take full pics now if it just to be certain. It is a good looking mosin repro but there are a couple things, the barrel roughness as you said, the lack of scope serial numbers on the shank and the K Mark and the inside of the receiver looks like someone outside of russian factory work may have out the scope on. I’ll send pics now.
PapaGunz

Post by PapaGunz »

Darryl wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:12 pm Any photos of the entire rifle and the scope and mounts and bolt???????

I can tell it it looks like a reproduction to me just based on the few photos you posted.

Sniper rifles were finished a little nicer then a standard M91/30. The machining on that one is pretty rough for a sniper rifle.

If this is an Izhevsk then the marks are to low on the left side of the barrel shank. This is where the scope numbers should go so they raised all the "proof marks" up to the top more.

Can't say for sure without full photos. but my guess is reproduction (fake).

Darryl
Here’s the photos. If you need to see anything else let me know please, though I’m sure this will provide plenty to determine it is in fact, a FAKE. I bought it for $1100 but the guy did say he didn’t know if it was an authentic sniper so, I blame myself for rushing to buy it. I blame my affections on a game called Escape from Tarkov, the Mosin is my favorite gun in that game. Well, it shoots well enough for guerrilla applications…… shrug. An expensive lesson on mosin. I’ve learned so much about these rifles I consider this a win in my book still, it’s only money, but the experience👀 that’s the real value here haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PapaGunz

Post by PapaGunz »

More pics
PapaGunz

Post by PapaGunz »

Last pics
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

It's a 100% reproduction sir. That's not to say it couldn't be a good shooter, just that it never was a sniper rifle.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Yeah, PW arms is not a known importer of sniper rifles (as I remember). They imported standard M91/30's.

After market scope too.

Darryl
PapaGunz

Post by PapaGunz »

Right on, thanks guys, And it is a good shooter, but the irons dont shoot straight, since they forced a centered front sight, and that bothers me a lot. but at 100 yards I did shoot around 3 to 5 MOA with some british ammo. Gonna sell it, as a repro, and find me a real Sniper. I have another thread on a potential iz sniper I won on GB, if yall can help me with that one Ive got the thread up and pics.
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

The scope is a modern Ukrainian version of a PU scope. It has the serial number with the letter "Ч" wich indicates the modern production of Izyum optic mechanical plant.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

PapaGunz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:52 am Right on, thanks guys, And it is a good shooter, but the irons dont shoot straight, since they forced a centered front sight, and that bothers me a lot. but at 100 yards I did shoot around 3 to 5 MOA with some british ammo. Gonna sell it, as a repro, and find me a real Sniper. I have another thread on a potential iz sniper I won on GB, if yall can help me with that one Ive got the thread up and pics.
One thing to remember is the irons on a Mosin Nagant are sighted/adjusted with bayonet on. So just remember that when shooting one using irons, amd there is a tool you can use to adjust the front sight.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member