More railroad watches

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
awalker1829

More railroad watches

Post by awalker1829 »

As the title says, more railroad watches:
This Hamilton 936 just came back from an overhaul. Had to have the balance staff replaced as a pivot got bent. Now I’m running the watch to see how much time it’s gaining or losing over 24 hours. That is necessary to set the regulator correctly so that the watch will keep correct time. This watch was supposed to be a parts movement but my watchmaker forgot and restored it instead.

I’ve got a number of watches that need to go in for cleaning and servicing. I’m also going to get new mainsprings installed, since the watches have to be totally taken apart for cleaning anyways. Most of these watches probably have their original mainsprings, so they’re probably overdue for replacement.

This watch arrived in Friday’s mail. It’s an 18 size, 23 jewel Hampden “Special Railway” manufactured in 1911. It is in very fine condition. It has a jeweled mainspring barrel which is unusual-the plate with the manufacturer’s name is the mainspring plate. It has a raised gold jewel setting.

The case has a beautiful engine turned rear cover. Sadly, the scrappers are now buying up nice gold filled watch cases and melting them down for the gold content. The watch evidently did not see much use as there are no markings inside the case indicating servicing by watchmakers and the case doesn’t have any wear visible. The dial only has two very faint hairline cracks that are barely visible. Got it from a collector in Idaho for a reasonable asking price that was below retail.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: More railroad watches

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very nice, :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

That looks nice. My 19 year old is working for a railroad now. It’s the only thing he has ever wanted to do. I bought him an old red lateen for Christmas. Dropping hints for Christmas for a new watch with the wife. Maybe a new speedmaster soon.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

BuckeyeSgt wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:52 pm That looks nice. My 19 year old is working for a railroad now. It’s the only thing he has ever wanted to do. I bought him an old red lateen for Christmas. Dropping hints for Christmas for a new watch with the wife. Maybe a new speedmaster soon.
Which road? I worked for a shortline but knew some folks on the Norfolk Southern. Speedmaster is a nice watch, but not railroad grade. When I went to work for the railroad, NS had an approved list. Only watches on the list were permitted to be used by transportation department employees. One of the major concerns was magnetism. Diesel electric locomotives have massive generators and traction motors that can magnetize a watch that does not have an antimagnetic hairspring or shield with their magnetic fields.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Fort Worth and Western I think. It’s about 200 miles of track. I didn’t know about that part of trains and watches. Interesting. Good thing I don’t do anything on trains. 😂
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

BuckeyeSgt wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:10 pm Fort Worth and Western I think. It’s about 200 miles of track. I didn’t know about that part of trains and watches. Interesting. Good thing I don’t do anything on trains. 😂
I've heard of them. They also operate Grapevine Vintage Railroad-aka the Tarantula Train.