Finn rifle question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Vity

Finn rifle question

Post by Vity »

Hi, I need some help with my new rifle. This is finn rifle and my knowledge about finn rifles close to zero. It looks like it was assembled from different parts from different manufacturers. Bottom back part stamped with Izhevsk 1913, but upper receiver marked 1942. Also, I'm not sure if stock is original, it has some strange curves I never saw before. Thank you in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Finn rifle question

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These rifles were assembled from a mix of good used and new parts, that's normal for the Finn built, or rebuilt M91's. Looks like someone did some modifying at the wrist of the stock, maybe they had smaller hands so they removed a bit of wood from the sides. The receiver was made in 1913, the barrel was made in 1942, or at least used in that year. The whole buttstock looks refinished, someone had to after removing wood and sanding it. At least the rest of the rifle was left alone.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Vity

Post by Vity »

Thank you. I don't collect Finn, I collect Russian mosins. They asked $450 and I took it planning trade in future. Have sanded and cut stack is really disappointing. 🙁
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Vity wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:56 pm Thank you. I don't collect Finn, I collect Russian mosins. They asked $450 and I took it planning trade in future. Have sanded and cut stack is really disappointing. 🙁
These Finn Mosins were imported in the late 1980's, about 35 years ago now. They were dirt cheap then, and stayed that way for many years so Bubba found a lot of them,doing shit to them like what's happened to your rifle. Trust me on this, I have seen much worse than your buttstock modification. Your rifle is still 90% military as issued. Selection is limited, and prices are high. I used to think $450 for a Finn M91 was insanity, now I know that's cheap in a market where $650 is considered good by some, and they have sold for more. I have two B Barrel M91's, and two B barrel M39's, all four are excellent shooters, more accurate than I am to be sure. The B's are nice barrels, the Finn barrels tend to be a step above even our Remington made barrels, and the Finn built M91's are pretty much the best M91's you will find so far s shooters go. Bubba may have removed the shims that the Finns love to place under the action screws to fine tune the accuracy. If the rifle fails to perform well you will have to get a shim kit, a case of ammo and hit the range to tune it again.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:25 pm These rifles were assembled from a mix of good used and new parts, that's normal for the Finn built, or rebuilt M91's. Looks like someone did some modifying at the wrist of the stock, maybe they had smaller hands so they removed a bit of wood from the sides. The receiver was made in 1913, the barrel was made in 1942, or at least used in that year. The whole buttstock looks refinished, someone had to after removing wood and sanding it. At least the rest of the rifle was left alone.
Would you put some Tom's pine tar back on the sanded part ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, I would leave it alone, pine tar will not replace missing wood, and the current color is probably coated with poly, or something similar that would necessitate even more sanding before new stain could be applied.
Theodore Roosevelt
Vity

Post by Vity »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:08 pm
Vity wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:56 pm Thank you. I don't collect Finn, I collect Russian mosins. They asked $450 and I took it planning trade in future. Have sanded and cut stack is really disappointing. 🙁
These Finn Mosins were imported in the late 1980's, about 35 years ago now. They were dirt cheap then, and stayed that way for many years so Bubba found a lot of them,doing shit to them like what's happened to your rifle. Trust me on this, I have seen much worse than your buttstock modification. Your rifle is still 90% military as issued. Selection is limited, and prices are high. I used to think $450 for a Finn M91 was insanity, now I know that's cheap in a market where $650 is considered good by some, and they have sold for more. I have two B Barrel M91's, and two B barrel M39's, all four are excellent shooters, more accurate than I am to be sure. The B's are nice barrels, the Finn barrels tend to be a step above even our Remington made barrels, and the Finn built M91's are pretty much the best M91's you will find so far s shooters go. Bubba may have removed the shims that the Finns love to place under the action screws to fine tune the accuracy. If the rifle fails to perform well you will have to get a shim kit, a case of ammo and hit the range to tune it again.
Looks like the shims are still in place. Of course only range can show if it was or wasn't touched:-) . Thank you for info and advise.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Some B Barrels were from Belgium and will have Liege Marks. These tend to be more rare and desirable. Most B Barrels tend to be Finnish made.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk