Finnish m91 stock markings

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
finnedmosin

Finnish m91 stock markings

Post by finnedmosin »

Hello I recently aquired a finnish m91 I came across two stock markings the stock is a finnish replacement and I was curious what they meant. weirdly to the bolt is not marked with a serial number but the bolt handle and cocking piece are. This gun has no import marks either that I can see Regardless I will post some photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: Finnish m91 stock markings

Post by ffuries »

The cross cannons with the Z is the stock manufacturer. Heres an example that's on my M91/24 Lotta Rifle. I don't think they have associated a "Letter/Number" to any specific manufacturer. I've seen a L, S, X and an 8.

The other letter is probably an inspection mark, the meaning lost to time and history.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ffuries on Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

ffuries wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:50 pm The cross cannons with the Z is the stock manufacturer. Heres an example that's on my M91/24 Lotta Rifle. I'm don't think they have associated a "Letter/Number" to any specific manufacturer. I've seen a L, S, X and an 8.

The other letter is probably an inspection mark, the meaning lost to time and history.
ahh okay thanks! . Is it common for these finnish mosins to have no import marks?. I can't find any on mine or any capture marks besides the finnish ones
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

Also how did you get your mosin?
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

Also would anyone know how to date these westinghouse m91/30s?
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

finnedmosin wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:28 pm Also how did you get your mosin?
My 1894 Izhevsk M91 with a 1927 Tikkakoski stepped barrel came from a pawn shop. My 191? (Could be 1915, 16 or 17) Remington M91/24 "Lotta Rifle" with a 192? (Could be a 1924, 25, 26 or 27) Böhler Stahl stepped barrel came from a gunshop.

No import markings would most likely mean it was imported before the GCA of 1968. According to one long time and very knowledgeable member on here, Junk Yard Dog, Finned Mosin Nagants started showing up in the US sometime in the 50s. So this one is most likely from the pre 68 batch if it's not import marked at all.

Your New England Westinghouse (NEW) M91 barrel was made in 1915, as it says on the barrel 1915r, with the r meaning year or god depending on what source you look at. Check the receiver tang (Top side on a NEW rifle) and see if there are any markings. If there is a letter with an arrow it's a NEW receiver and probably the original 1915 receiver. NEW only made M91's from 1915 to 1917. If there is no marking on the top of the tang, look on bottom to see if there is something there, if there is it means the receiver/barrel was swapped, let us know what it shows and we'll tell you who made the receiver.

Also is it still a M91 or has it been shorten into the M91/30 configuration? As you have referred to it as both a M91 and M91/30.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

ffuries wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:37 pm
My 1894 Izhevsk M91 with a 1927 Tikkakoski stepped barrel came from a pawn shop. My 191? (Could be 1915, 16 or 17) Remington M91/24 "Lotta Rifle" with a 192? (Could be a 1924, 25, 26 or 27) Böhler Stahl stepped barrel came from a gunshop.

No import markings would most likely mean it was imported before the GCA of 1968. According to one long time and very knowledgeable member on here, Junk Yard Dog, Finned Mosin Nagants started showing up in the US sometime in the 50s. So this one is most likely from the pre 68 batch if it's not import marked at all.

Your New England Westinghouse (NEW) M91 barrel was made in 1915, as it says on the barrel 1915r, with the r meaning year or god depending on what source you look at. Check the receiver tang (Top side on a NEW rifle) and see if there are any markings. If there is a letter with an arrow it's a NEW receiver and probably the original 1915 receiver. NEW only made M91's from 1915 to 1917. If there is no marking on the top of the tang, look on bottom to see if there is something there, if there is it means the receiver/barrel was swapped, let us know what it shows and we'll tell you who made the receiver.

Also is it still a M91 or has it been shorten into the M91/30 configuration? As you have referred to it as both a M91 and M91/30.
There was only one mark on the reciever and that was on top of the tang. The barrel length is 30 and a half inches so it has not been cut down so i am guessing that makes it a m91. I will post a pic of the mark on the tang and some extra markings on the bolt i found
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

the reciever is a hex reciever so it has to be pre like 1930
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

here is a 2nd pic of tang mark
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

another pic
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

sorry for amount of pics the last three pics are pics of the tang marking kinda looks like a arrow to me with a letter
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

finnedmosin wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:20 pm

There was only one mark on the reciever and that was on top of the tang. The barrel length is 30 and a half inches so it has not been cut down so i am guessing that makes it a m91. I will post a pic of the mark on the tang and some extra markings on the bolt i found
Duh, I'm a dumb ass, as I was looking back at your pictures I saw the full length shot of the rifle. This showing it's still in a M91 configuration. But the picture seems to show the cleaning rod is not a standard Mosin Nagant cleaning rod, but an elongated head one. The Finns did make M91 length ones with the elongated head. I'll send you a PM with a site that shows the different cleaning rod heads. Don't know if yours is a Finn made elongated head cleaning rod, or a Mauser style cleaning rod that someone used to make it look more complete.

Receiver tang doesn't look scrubbed. Is there any markings on the bottom side of it? Below picture is an example of a Westinghouse marked receiver.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

don't know how to dissassemble a finnish m91 mosin a video would be helpfull
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

the cleaning rod seems to match this guy
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

it seems to match this guy
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

which is elongated one
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

here is the one from the rifle
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

photo
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

it also came with a bayonet that is marked remington but the serial number on it is 527105 which does not match the reciever
finnedmosin

Post by finnedmosin »

ffuries wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:51 pm
finnedmosin wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:20 pm

Duh, I'm a dumb ass, as I was looking back at your pictures I saw the full length shot of the rifle. This showing it's still in a M91 configuration. But the picture seems to show the cleaning rod is not a standard Mosin Nagant cleaning rod, but an elongated head one. The Finns did make M91 length ones with the elongated head. I'll send you a PM with a site that shows the different cleaning rod heads. Don't know if yours is a Finn made elongated head cleaning rod, or a Mauser style cleaning rod that someone used to make it look more complete.

Receiver tang doesn't look scrubbed. Is there any markings on the bottom side of it? Below picture is an example of a Westinghouse marked receiver.
Don't you have to dissassemble the gun to look at the bottom of the reciever?. I do have a gunsmith screwdriver set but I can't find a video on how to do that