How much is enough. . .

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
fchaus

How much is enough. . .

Post by fchaus »

Hey Mosin Enthusiests. I am finally done with my move and am finally getting time to clean up some of the milsurps I purchased a while ago. I am currently working on a 1955 Romanian M44. Overall it is very clean and in good shape but the bore was a dull black mess. I have been alternating between soaking the bore with Breakfree bore foam and letting it set and scrubbing with SLP breakfree and brushes and patches. While it does look better it is not what you would call shiney. The rifling is there and very clear. So my question is should i keep doing what I'm doing or is there something else you all would suggest or should i just call it and go fire the thing and get it heated up and clean it again? I have been using I have been also using oversized brass bore brushes thinking it might speed things up a little.

Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts.
Craig :spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
ffuries

Re: How much is enough. . .

Post by ffuries »

Depends on you....Are you going to be happy with it as it is? Will cleaning it more affect the shoot-ability negatively or positively? Only you can really tell with it in hand.

I had a K98k Mauser with a sewer pipe barrel that I scrubbed, soaked, and shot clean. Major mistake it took a lot of shooting, to build the crud back up and for the shots to settle down.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can't clean away pitting inside a bore. Pitting is missing metal, and no bore cleaner or other bore additive can replace that metal. Just shoot it, clean it after your done like any other rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
fchaus

Post by fchaus »

Awesome! Thanks!
Craig :spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I'm right in there with Jim (junk).

Clean it and shoot it then clean it. It will sometime shoot better and better as you go.

I've seen guy go after the lead build up so hard that the rifle shoots like crap after words. Looked good, just wouldn't shoot anymore! :chuckles:

Only thing that "has to" be removed is the corrosive powder left behind. That is easy. Clean it like usual, then fire it. If it shoots like crap then decide if it needs things like extensive lead build up removed. That would be up to you. But, shoot it first after typical cleanup.

That's me, you do as you like! ;mywink;

Darryl