Metal detecting

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
Sonny

Metal detecting

Post by Sonny »

Cabelas had metal detectors on sale last Christmas for a good price so I bought one. Finally got to try it out today at the little man made beach at Kelly’s bathtub at Jarvis Lake. Found a lot of junk but no treasure except for a dime and a penny.
Also found a bunch of nails, bottle caps and a lot of hair pins.
It was fun but we need better beaches to go detecting on like Daytona Beach. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: Metal detecting

Post by ffuries »

Check out the site treasurenet.com, it's a great metal detecting site, lots different forums in it. There's lots of help on there with IDing finds etc.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Thank you sir I shall check it out.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sonny wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:25 pm Thank you sir I shall check it out.
Main page:

https://www.treasurenet.com/forums/

They even have a Canadian section....:

https://www.treasurenet.com/forums/canada.222/

And if you find something you can't ID they have a What Is It? page have it IDed. My screen name under Tnet is Retired Sarge.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Take it to Russia's Eastern front battlefields were you can find unexploded land mines , guns, helmets with skulls still in them, cool shit like that. :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Good grief am I ever hurtin' this morning. :b sad:

I must have gone up and down on my knees over a hundred times looking for treasure yesterday and my old couch potato body is not used to this activity.

But anyhoo thanks for the links and some of those boys are finding some cool stuff. :thumbsup:

Sadly in my neck of the woods there are no large beaches with high traffic on it and we have no old battlefields around here so I'm somewhat limited in places to go search.
There are some abandoned homesteads that I could look at, someone told me to detect under old clotheslines to see if you can find old coins.Also I could detect around cemeteries to see what I could dig up, coins I'm talking about, not bodies. :lol:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sonny wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:58 am Good grief am I ever hurtin' this morning. :b sad:

I must have gone up and down on my knees over a hundred times looking for treasure yesterday and my old couch potato body is not used to this activity.

But anyhoo thanks for the links and some of those boys are finding some cool stuff. :thumbsup:

Sadly in my neck of the woods there are no large beaches with high traffic on it and we have no old battlefields around here so I'm somewhat limited in places to go search.
There are some abandoned homesteads that I could look at, someone told me to detect under old clotheslines to see if you can find old coins.Also I could detect around cemeteries to see what I could dig up, coins I'm talking about, not bodies. :lol:
Around old homesteads a great place to look is around trees. That is where people leaned up against to nap or get out of the sun, leaving pocket spills.

Also as gross as it sounds, the old privy holes, they used them as dumps (No pun intended) once they served their purpose and dug a new one. Oh and a lot of stuff fell out of people's pockets when prepping to sit on the throne.

Also there are bottle dumps around old homesteads, you can find some cool old bottles. Old horse buckles, buttons, etc.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

I also read that a lot of the old homesteaders hid their money in a coffee can and buried it in the chicken coop because chickens get real noisy when disturbed and are like an old fashion burglar alarm. Makes sense I guess.

A few years ago I posted pics of an old abandoned cabin in the woods, that might be a good place to search. Also many years ago I was hunting and came across and old log line shack that trappers used for overnight stays on their trap line, it's a good little hike tho.

But I know one thing for sure, wifey does not like me digging holes in the yard. :lol: :lol:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sonny wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:49 pm Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

I also read that a lot of the old homesteaders hid their money in a coffee can and buried it in the chicken coop because chickens get real noisy when disturbed and are like an old fashion burglar alarm. Makes sense I guess.

A few years ago I posted pics of an old abandoned cabin in the woods, that might be a good place to search. Also many years ago I was hunting and came across and old log line shack that trappers used for overnight stays on their trap line, it's a good little hike tho.

But I know one thing for sure, wifey does not like me digging holes in the yard. :lol: :lol:
Sounds like you got a few places to explore. Who knows maybe you'll find a honey hole with some great finds.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have seen some of the outhouse pit videos, I just love how that kid in South Dakota describes things. " Oh, looks like we are into the use layer" or Ah, here we go, undigested seeds" I don't care if it's been 120 years, it's still shit, they are digging in shit with their bare hands.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Sonny wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:58 am Also I could detect around cemeteries to see what I could dig up, coins I'm talking about, not bodies. :lol:
One YouTube channel I follow is MartintheMaker. He’s a European funeral director and part of his job is digging graves. Due to the tight spaces in the cemetery, he has to dig graves by hand.

Occasionally they have to reclaim a plot that a family hasn’t paid the rent on, so they reuse the plot. The process involves removing the memorial headstone, digging to the depth of the current grave, recovering the human remains, digging the grave deeper and reburying the remains. Those graves are usually 50 years or older and there usually isn’t much left of the previous occupant. Dealing with caskets isn’t a big deal as they still use wooden coffins, which eventually disintegrate.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh yes, I have seen some of that guys videos, there apparently is no " eternal rest" over there.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Last week, I was reading, somewhere online about an "Amateur" Metal detector somewhere in the British Isles that found a stashes of ancient silver coins. Many years ago, I took a metal detector to the beach and found a mother-load of pop-tops. I have a good friend that used to spend a lot of time and money on metal detecting and I don't think he ever found anything more valuable than a silver quarter.

My wife worked with an attorney that was also a big Civil War buff. Back in the 70s, he would sneak onto the battlefields after dark to detect and dig. He had a lot of nice belt buckles and similar stuff and claimed to have a dug a revolver in its holster. The big problem where I live is that ancient history is only about 125 years any relics older than that are made of flint. The only way to find flint tools is using the Mk1 R or L eyeball.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-61914872

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... in-denmark
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

These soldiers fought a battle right across my property, I've only found a .58 round ball, but a sword was found a few hundred yards north and a confederate buckle on the property just below me. I need to get a decent detector if anybody could recommend one. 10 of them were killed, there is a pile of rocks 3' x 6' on my east line I've always wondered about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:49 pm I have seen some of the outhouse pit videos, I just love how that kid in South Dakota describes things. " Oh, looks like we are into the use layer" or Ah, here we go, undigested seeds" I don't care if it's been 120 years, it's still shit, they are digging in shit with their bare hands.
As a former plumber, I can assure you it will not kill 'ya; not even when still smoking fresh.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:45 am These soldiers fought a battle right across my property, I've only found a .58 round ball, but a sword was found a few hundred yards north and a confederate buckle on the property just below me. I need to get a decent detector if anybody could recommend one. 10 of them were killed, there is a pile of rocks 3' x 6' on my east line I've always wondered about.
I would dig under those rocks before you could say, "Don't do it." If it is occupied, they could probably use some company after all these years.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

just make sure you are not on private property......when in doubt, ask....do not assume.....

always refill your holes and leave a good site when finished...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:34 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:49 pm I have seen some of the outhouse pit videos, I just love how that kid in South Dakota describes things. " Oh, looks like we are into the use layer" or Ah, here we go, undigested seeds" I don't care if it's been 120 years, it's still shit, they are digging in shit with their bare hands.
As a former plumber, I can assure you it will not kill 'ya; not even when still smoking fresh.
Perhaps, but I would still not stick my hands in it for the fun of it and some old bottles.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:45 am These soldiers fought a battle right across my property, I've only found a .58 round ball, but a sword was found a few hundred yards north and a confederate buckle on the property just below me. I need to get a decent detector if anybody could recommend one. 10 of them were killed, there is a pile of rocks 3' x 6' on my east line I've always wondered about.
If you check out the metal detecting site I referenced earlier in this post, they have a section discussing detectors and the pros and cons of the different models. You could get a basic model to start off with, and if you enjoy detecting you can always upgrade. Why go big if you don't use it much!

Starting off dig every signal you get, until you learn what to ignore. I still dig every signal regardless, I've found cool relics hiding under a bigger trash signals.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Ain't gonna see any pics from me for a while.
Doc said I pulled a major muscle in my lower back and it will take time to heal. All I know is that it hurts like a S.O.B.
But.... Doc gave me some good stuff to carry me over.
500mg of Naproxen x's 24
10mg Cyclobenzaprine x's 30

Wash it down with a beer and as James Brown would say ... "I feel good" :)