Common German WWII pistol

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Common German WWII pistol

Post by SA1911a1 »

Third, in production numbers, behind the Luger and P-38, was the FN M 1922. The Belgians designated this as the Pistole 626B. 363,000 were made between 41 and the end of the war. Production resumed after the war and they were made up into the 1970s.

According to the serial number this FN M 1922 was made in 1941,(probably late '41 by the wooden grips) in occupied Belgium, thus the Belgian commercial stampings. They were apparently popular with Luftwaffe pilots because of their size and weight. Surprisingly, these were made for commercial sale to police and security guards up until '42 when production apparently went full military. Some of the Belgian marked pistols went, as they were to the German military, without being marked with German proofs, so there is no way of knowing if this was an officially issued gun or not. FN made these in .380 and 7.65 (.32ACP) This one is .32 and it shoots like a champ.

This one does work well and it gets aired out every now and then. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Common German WWII pistol

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice, I think of the Colt pocket 1903 when I see these.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Here is mine.

This was my Father in laws and he took it from a surrendering Japanese Col.
Browning9mm_002.jpg

Bulgarian crest on top. These were taken when the Bulgarian freedom fighters were run out by the communist to Japan.
Japan sent the "fighters" to South America and kept their firearms./
Browning9mm_004.jpg

Rare Holster
Browning9mm_009.jpg

Darryl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is nice, D.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:23 pm That is nice, D.
Yeah, has a LOT of history for us. I decided to give it to my Son. It is his Grandfather's pistol he brought back from the Pacific.

In the early 1980’s my father in law (James Carey) loved to tell me stories of when he was in World War II. Stories he seldom told to anyone else. He was a very quiet man and was a Sergeant in the US Army and was a forward artillery spotter. Because he was a forward artillery spotter, he quite often got close to the front line. And in some cases well over that line into the Japanese side. He held two bronze stars and other accommodations for some of the action he took. But that is another story.

He recalled calling in artillery fire on an air field being held by the Japanese. The rounds were coming in pretty hard and fast and finding their targets when he noticed a white flag tied onto a stick being waived from one of the windows of a building. He said he quickly called off the fire and asked what he should do from his commanding officer. He was told by the commanding officer he was well behind the Japanese lines. In fact, he was well over 45 minutes away from his lines. The commanding officer told Jim he would have to take the surrender himself with the 10 men he had and hold the air strip. My father in law had his men cover him as he went to talk to the Japanese officer. Turns out the Japanese General commanding the air field was killed and a Colonel was now in charge. He offered Jim his side arm (a 380 auto Browning) which Jim took and slid into his shirt. The prisoners, some 40 of them were marched to the end of the landing strip where he felt if he had to he could call in artillery rounds if they tried to escape. This is not one of the two actions that got Jim his two bronze stars, but the two bronze stars where what helped him to keep the pistol from being taken away by the Army when he returned home to the US.

After Jim told me this story of how he got the pistol, he took me into his bedroom and opened a strong box where the pistol was locked up. It was not until some time later after he passed away in October 1992 that the family was going through some of his thing that the pistol was discovered. None of his three sons wanted a firearm in their house and as I did collect them, it was given to me.

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Wasn't that extra inch of barrel done so the pistol would make the length requirement for a military contract ? Those are on my bucket list, but my bucket stays empty here lately. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:21 pm Wasn't that extra inch of barrel done so the pistol would make the length requirement for a military contract ? Those are on my bucket list, but my bucket stays empty here lately. :2cents:
Yea, you got the extension right.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum