Tell me about my m39

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
norskeskyter

Tell me about my m39

Post by norskeskyter »

So I’ve had this for about 9 years now without knowing much about it…other than that it’s the coolest thing I own. I didn’t pay much for it at the time and my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw what some of these go for now.

Sights are after market and I really like them. Stock has no cracks and is in nicer condition than many I’ve seen online.
Just yesterday I pulled it apart to clean it (never done it before) and was amazed how clean it already was.
Bolt cycles smooth as butter after a light cleaning.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about it based on the markings?
What might be the going price for this particular one?

Thanks and Hei!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qz2026

Re: Tell me about my m39

Post by qz2026 »

Pretty sweet gun. It looks by the barrel color that it was a B-Barrel. Very sought after. If I were you I would start a search for a replacement rear sight blade and possibly a rear sight spring for this rifle. These are becoming difficult to find anymore. It would be a good idea just to have in case you want to sell it sometime in the future of wish to return it to it's original configuration. I believe that the sight that is on it now is just a replacement leaf and not permanent.
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

Nice "Late Date" 1968 M39. Starting in 1967 the Finn's began assembling new M39's from existing parts. They continued to make them until at least 1973 and possibly even later since I've seen one M39 dated 1978. The most common story is that they were meant as marksmanship rifles for officer training but that could be just a story. According to observed serial numbers about 2100 were assembled in 1968. These tend to be in new or like new condition and may not have been used much if at all. They've been selling in the 800-1000 range recently; I own a 1968 Late Date so I keep track. As said above if you don't have the missing sight parts you should buy them ASAP, spare parts for Finnish rifles are drying up fast and not having them will hit its collector value in the future. Your 1968 is 112 rifles younger than mine by the way. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norskeskyter

Post by norskeskyter »

Wow, thats a nice value increase! It didnt come with the original sights, so Ill have to get some. I am actually considering selling it.
Is there a particular reason it increased so much recently? What might it be worth in another 5,10,15 yrs?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

norskeskyter wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:40 pm Wow, thats a nice value increase! It didnt come with the original sights, so Ill have to get some. I am actually considering selling it.
Is there a particular reason it increased so much recently? What might it be worth in another 5,10,15 yrs?
First off.... :alien: AND :welcome3:

In it's current configuration it is a bit of an abomination. I've never seen a rear sight like that before & I'm unsure based on the pics I see if the rifle has been permanently altered. If it has been altered in a permanent way it will greatly reduce the value of the gun and adding correct sights won't help a lot. I would really try to find a correct rear sight set first IF, AND ONLY IF there is no permanent alteration.

Otherwise it is beautiful. Congrats and welcome to the forum.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

That sight looks to me like a knock off of the mojosights.

Instead of the big centered finger knob to adjust elevation on the fly, it looks like it might use that small barrel screw on the right rear for more permanent elevation setting.

If that's the case, it should be easy to remove and reinstall a correct sight.

A few more pics of the whole rear sight would be helpful. Is the front sight still stock?

Jay
BOHICA
norskeskyter

Post by norskeskyter »

I ordered a rear ladder sliding sight off eBay before I saw your reply. I compared it with another m39 and it looks like its really just that one top piece that needs to be swapped - apparently by punching out the pin where the sight pivots when you raise it for long distance shooting. Will find out when it arrives.