Please help in trying to identify

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Wakemeupbruce75

Please help in trying to identify

Post by Wakemeupbruce75 »

Hello,
Just inherited like 9 or 10 Mosin’s from my father in law who just passed away. Really could use some help in identifying them. Thank you. Here’s one that I’m really stumped on…. First picture is the writing on the barrel under the front sight, says M91 Switz? Thanks in advance for all the help!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wakemeupbruce75

Re: Please help in trying to identify

Here’s another one… these are the only markings I could find on it. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The first one is a Finnish M24. The barrel was made in Switzerland for the Finns by SIG. The importer mistakenly stamped Switz. That particular example has had the barrel set back and rechambered. That is why the marking are kind of cut off.
The second is a 1923 Tula.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Wakemeupbruce75 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:22 am Here’s another one… these are the only markings I could find on it. Thank you!
What is the overall length of the '23 Tula ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Those are collector grade. Your dad was serious about his Finnish Mosin rifle collection I think. You should share a lot more of what you have. Full length pictures too. You might be surprised.
Wakemeupbruce75

Here’s more pictures of the ‘23 Tula. Its 51”long. Is the Tula a Dragoon? Thanks for all the input. I’ll be posting more pictures of my other rifles soon. Really appreciate everything!
Wakemeupbruce75

Tried attaching pictures but saying file too large now. Using same camera as I did with the other photos.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

51 inches is a rifle, not a Dragoon.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Is there an SA stamp on the Tula?

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Wakemeupbruce75 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:43 pm Tried attaching pictures but saying file too large now. Using same camera as I did with the other photos.
Either change the pic size setting on your camera, or resize them with paint or whichever photo editing program you have.

C. S. Lewis
Wakemeupbruce75

Ok I think I got it now ‘23 Tula. Thanks for the info of it not being a dragoon. No SA stamp on it
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That looks Finnish as well. You got some good stuff.

C. S. Lewis
Wakemeupbruce75

Thanks!! Should I post my other rifles in this post or create new ones for them?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Wakemeupbruce75 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:38 pm Thanks!! Should I post my other rifles in this post or create new ones for them?
Whatever floats your boat.

C. S. Lewis
Wakemeupbruce75

Is this an Enfield or Mosin? Says M91 7.62R USA under the barrel. Does have the SA stamped on the side. Thanks for your time and knowledge!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Are you trolling us?

C. S. Lewis
Wakemeupbruce75

Absolutely not!! Like I said in my new welcome post, this is all new to me. I apologize if I’m asking anything stupid. I googled Remington 1917 and this comes up.
Wakemeupbruce75

But I’m guessing cause it said M91 on the barrel it’s a Mosin, correct? Like I said, I have 9 of them I’m trying to get as much info as I can on them. Google is very complex when your trying to look these up
Wakemeupbruce75

I did figure this one out, don’t really like that it was sporterized. Love the look of the original. It’s a No.4 MK1 converted to No.4 MK1/2..
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I'm joking. You show up with 2 ringers, and then bust out a Remington. Whoever left you these had a good eye. Was he perhaps a member here?

C. S. Lewis