Bohler-Stahl Lotta M24 stocks

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Finn39

Bohler-Stahl Lotta M24 stocks

Post by Finn39 »

From the few examples I can research it appears that many of the second contract, non-SIG rifles are in spliced stocks. Does this guarantee it was restocked as a rework? If so, would it have been done in-service or post war? Was it something the SA would have done when transferred or possibly still done under SY custody?
ssg_lord

Re: Bohler-Stahl Lotta M24 stocks

Post by ssg_lord »

As I recall Palokangas stated in his books that the Finn's started splicing Mosin stocks in 1935 so it's pretty likely any M24 with a spliced stock doesn't have it's original stock(both of mine are spliced). As for when it was done that's hard to say, the CG repair shop did upgrade stocks pre war but so did the SA both during and after the war.
Finn39

Post by Finn39 »

Thank you.

Is there a title for the book?
Finn39

Post by Finn39 »

Found them...Marrku's small arms books. Finnish and EXPENSIVE...lol
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

Finn39 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:17 pm Found them...Marrku's small arms books. Finnish and EXPENSIVE...lol
Yup, at least as expensive as one of the rifles and probably more collectable since there are probably less than 100 sets in the U.S. but they have some great info in them.
Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

ssg_lord wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:17 am Yup, at least as expensive as one of the rifles and probably more collectable since there are probably less than 100 sets in the U.S. but they have some great info in them.
It should noted the information in Palokangas' book "Sotilaskäsiaseet Suomessa 1918-1988" is outdated. Palokangas can be said to have be "lazy" when it came to quoting sources for his book. He often refers to secondary sources and interviews made several decades after the event instead of contemporary primary sources. Many times he does not give any sources to the claims. This can be seen also in his new book "Itsenäisen Suomen jalkaväen raskaat aseet ja ryhmäaseet".
Finn39

Post by Finn39 »

Having been a history major, that's a major point taken Mangrove.
Finn39

Post by Finn39 »

I've got a copy of Bowser's book but that only answers so many questions.

Disclosure: Took a chance and won a bid on one. Waiting on delivery.
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

Mangrove wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 am
ssg_lord wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:17 am Yup, at least as expensive as one of the rifles and probably more collectable since there are probably less than 100 sets in the U.S. but they have some great info in them.
It should noted the information in Palokangas' book "Sotilaskäsiaseet Suomessa 1918-1988" is outdated. Palokangas can be said to have be "lazy" when it came to quoting sources for his book. He often refers to secondary sources and interviews made several decades after the event instead of contemporary primary sources. Many times he does not give any sources to the claims. This can be seen also in his new book "Itsenäisen Suomen jalkaväen raskaat aseet ja ryhmäaseet".
You've mentioned that before Martti and I will certainly take your word for it given how much information you've provided us all on all things Finnish. One of the unfortunate things about being a Finnish collector that doesn't speak or read Finnish is the lack of information sources in English. Most of the websites and books on the subject in English are mostly based on information from Palokangas including Bowsers book. Perhaps in the future some knowledgable individual in Finland could print such a book for we poor English speakers. 8-) (yes that's a hint)
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

Finn39 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:48 pm I've got a copy of Bowser's book but that only answers so many questions.

Disclosure: Took a chance and won a bid on one. Waiting on delivery.
You won one of Palokangas's books? Which volume? There are three.
Finn39

Post by Finn39 »

A Bohler Stahl Lotta M24.
Finn39

Post by Finn39 »

....spliced stock. :wink:
Finn39

Post by Finn39 »

Started with two SAKO '41 M39s, then an M28 in 28/30 stock. The M24 seemed legit for my limited knowledge so I went for it. Next ups are M27 and 28/30 (Not neccessarily in that order).
Finn39

Post by Finn39 »

OK...can anyone clue me in on what credible lit is out there I can use (if I can find and afford it) to study up? Also, is there an avenue of finnish records access?