Brazilian Mauser 30-06

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
steelbuttplate

Brazilian Mauser 30-06

Post by steelbuttplate »

I grabbed this today for 2010 prices, Cleaned 50 years worth of copper out of it and wow nice bore. I finally found a Mauser I can see the sights on, and have ammo for it. This one is dark and oily but slick where it counts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Brazilian Mauser 30-06

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This has to be among the last produced bolt action rifles made for issue to infantry soldiers. From what I recall Brazil made this one at the state arsenal, and based it on the K98k in the 1950's. Nice find, I don't hear much about these anymore, technically this is a German design, but not a German, or European produced rifle so it gets left out of the export Mauser collections. Kind of like the Turkish Mausers, in fact Turkey also produced short Mausers, but in 7.92mm.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:bonk: I'm glad I took it down, everything under the wood was 1/32 rust. Some pretty good pitting on the little stepped barrel but not too bad. I Brass drill/brushed it and coated it with ospho. Anybody used this stuff ? It turns the rust pits to iron phosphate, and ends up blackish. No more rust. This is a nice little rifle and recoil is sweet. Not like a Mosin carbine.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I like it a lot. I'm liking the "Bronzed" color of the metal and how it contrasts with the dark furniture.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Very nice looking Mauser! I have yet to run into one of these in person but I do them find interesting. I would have assumed the shooting experience would have been comparable to that of a Mosin carbine considering the .30-06 round...thanks for sharing.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

TnBuckeye wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:45 am Very nice looking Mauser! I have yet to run into one of these in person but I do them find interesting. I would have assumed the shooting experience would have been comparable to that of a Mosin carbine considering the .30-06 round...thanks for sharing.
I forgot to get a muzzle pic, but it is threaded, big coarse threads and has a spring loaded pin in the sight base to hold whatever it is. Grenade launcher ??????
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rust under the wood line on a South American Mauser with the " issued" look is normal.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:26 pm Rust under the wood line on a South American Mauser with the " issued" look is normal.
They tried putting enough oil on the wood to soak down to the metal. Didn't work.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:45 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:26 pm Rust under the wood line on a South American Mauser with the " issued" look is normal.
They tried putting enough oil on the wood to soak down to the metal. Didn't work.
That never works, you have to Kroil up the action screws and gently loosen them and work the front bands off, then remove the action from the wood. The active rust on the metal has to be stopped, oil and a copper brush to get it out of the pits. The British took care of this problem by applying OD paint under the wood, but with a Mauser it's very hard to keep it from showing above the wood. The Finns seem to have used heavy black lubriplate grease, I use it on the crushers slide plates, heavy shit. On rifles I don't shoot often I apply a thin layer of spray on cosmoline, let it dry and reassemble. Thing is you have to remove it before you shoot the rifle more than a few times or it will liquify again, and burn of, or splatter all over you as you shoot. Once the rust is gone you have to protect the metal or moisture will get right back in there with the summer humidity and go to work.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:30 am
steelbuttplate wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:45 pm
That never works, you have to Kroil up the action screws and gently loosen them and work the front bands off, then remove the action from the wood. The active rust on the metal has to be stopped, oil and a copper brush to get it out of the pits. The British took care of this problem by applying OD paint under the wood, but with a Mauser it's very hard to keep it from showing above the wood. The Finns seem to have used heavy black lubriplate grease, I use it on the crushers slide plates, heavy shit. On rifles I don't shoot often I apply a thin layer of spray on cosmoline, let it dry and reassemble. Thing is you have to remove it before you shoot the rifle more than a few times or it will liquify again, and burn of, or splatter all over you as you shoot. Once the rust is gone you have to protect the metal or moisture will get right back in there with the summer humidity and go to work.
Ospho. The best rust treatment I've tried. It goes on like water, doesn't change the good metal, but turns the rust pits into black Iron phosphate. Done.