Anyone hunt with a mosin?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Boi1901

Anyone hunt with a mosin?

Post by Boi1901 »

If you hunt with a mosin what did you shoot and what load did you use
ffuries

Re: Anyone hunt with a mosin?

Post by ffuries »

The Russians did and they hunted Germans with them......

Sorry I couldn't resist. I haven't but I know some members on here have, just don't remember who offhand....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, surplus commie loads, on the advice of my attorneys I respectfully decline to answer on the grounds I might incriminate myself :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

There was a guy on our local (Alberta) hunting/fishing forum that shot a moose a few years ago with a Mosin PU sniper. Geeze I don't remember the details other than it was a fairly close shot and one 180gr softpoint put it down.
As for myself I only hunted once with a Mosin and blew a 100 yard shot on a black bear. The darn black front post blended in with the dark colour of the bear and I screwed up. :oops:
Afterwards some other guy asked me why I never put a dab of white paint on the front post and all I could say was "I don't know"... :redfaced:
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

I've taken deer using my M39 Mosin and it's done very well. Purchased several boxes of lead tip ammo from a forum member on here but can't recall the grain weight without digging in the stash. I know it's Russian made for deer hunting as it's written on the box. I use a lot of my military rifles for deer hunting but the M39 is the only Mosin I own that I have confidence in that I'm going to make a good clean kill.
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

I have used a PU to hunt white tails...used Barnaul SP, seems like 205 grain but might be off. I thought it was too much honestly, if such a thing is possible.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I used a Finn 28/76 this year with factory Lapua 123 gr. One shot was all it took, white tail deer.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Boi1901 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:12 pm If you hunt with a mosin what did you shoot and what load did you use
FMJ, aim at the belt buckle. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Pigs.
Standard Remington ammo I got years ago.
Drops them very fast. But that was a long time ago. My knees won't let me get out in rough country anymore.
Darryl
JC 762

Post by JC 762 »

My son used a M39 on a big pig about a month ago .Ammo used was S&B 182 grain soft point if I remember correctly. Dropped it real quick.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

JC 762 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:40 pm My son used a M39 on a big pig about a month ago .Ammo used was S&B 182 grain soft point if I remember correctly. Dropped it real quick.
Hey! You need to tell you son that blue lives matter!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum