m53 mosin nagant

Buy and sell here. WTS, WTT, WTB
This is not a forum, please no chit chat
Read the rules first and remember, the forums are not a party to any transactions.
bobbyd

m53 mosin nagant

Post by bobbyd »

:!: I'm sitting around with a mosin nagant what I beleave to be a m53, anyway I brougth it from nam. in 1968 Was surfing when I say mosin site
got a little interested since I already have the rifle. since I haave time on my hand now I will start a little research. noticed that receiver is kind of pitted badly I was thinking replacing it but finding parts seem to be hard to find
SA1911a1

Re: m53 mosin nagant

Post by SA1911a1 »

Replacing the receiver on a T-53 doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons. The rifle will be a lot nicer piece with the original parts, even if pitted. Even if it were practical from a cost standpoint, we are a collector forum and we don't support rebuilding military rifles like that.

If you kept the paperwork when you brought it back it will have significantly higher value as is then rebuilt anyway.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

For me, T53 should be pitted or they have no personality. :chuckles:

We used to have a contest here on the forums to see who had the most rusty, pitted T53.

Most of the ones really used in the jungles are like that. Changing the receiver will significantly drop the value of the rifle. Most of the members here wouldn't even want it after that.

So, enjoy what you have and Like Steve said, I hope you have the paper work for it when you brought it home. It will significantly increase the value of the rifle.

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Everything that was said above, can't say it much better. As it is, it is original from its time in military service and from its point of capture. Vietnam used weapons are pitted, this is a testament of where it saw service, those pits are its patina

Doing anything to make it prettier, erases its history and story, along with its value. Historically its worth more as it sits.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

Leave it as it is. You won't regret it.