Is there any way to find out if my 1938 Tula Mosin Nagant 91/30 SA stamp was in the winter war or the continuation war?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Boi1901

Is there any way to find out if my 1938 Tula Mosin Nagant 91/30 SA stamp was in the winter war or the continuation war?

Post by Boi1901 »

I was trying to figure out if my rifle was captured in in the Winter War or Continuation War.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Is there any way to find out if my 1938 Tula Mosin Nagant 91/30 SA stamp was in the winter war or the continuation w

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The rifle was made in 1938, a year before the war started, it could have been captured in either conflict. Sometimes you might find a property marking that was used early on, but mostly it's just the SA in a square, mandated in 1942 if memory serves, and older capture rifles would have been marked with it at that time. The Finns captured a huge amount of Soviet equipment during the Winter War as they slaughtered poorly led, and poorly trained Soviets' troops by the hundreds of thousands, possibly millions. Eventually the Soviets got their shit together and managed to force tiny Finland to submit to Stalin's territorial demands, but they kept their country intact. They also kept all the Soviet toys they captured.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ssg_lord

Re: Is there any way to find out if my 1938 Tula Mosin Nagant 91/30 SA stamp was in the winter war or the continuation w

Post by ssg_lord »

As said above it could have been captured in either conflict. Does it have any other Finnish markings besides the SA stamp? Some Continuation war captures were marked with a 41 stamp on the barrel, this stamp was apparently used between early 1941 and early 1942 prior to the adoption of the SA property stamp.