Serial Number

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
aLOSTareow

Serial Number

Post by aLOSTareow »

I have a Mosin that I bought from a gunstore a few years ago. There is. 5 digit number on receiver that matches the bolt. There is also a "Russian Ser #" on the side under "PW Arms Redmond WA". Starts with RMN xxxxxxx.
Which is the actual serial number? Thanks for any info
:2cents: Still waters run deep .......
ffuries

Re: Serial Number

Post by ffuries »

I believe the 5 digit number in the original SN, the other number is the Importers added SN.

If I'm remembering this correctly the SN engravex by the Importer is considered the Legal SN for all intent and purposes by the BATFE.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
aLOSTareow

Post by aLOSTareow »

Cool. Thank you!! I was thinking that but wasn't sure....
:2cents: Still waters run deep .......
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

aLOSTareow wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:49 pm Cool. Thank you!! I was thinking that but wasn't sure....
No harm in asking.....Here's a link to a post on here, one reply says the barrels are SN on Mosin Nagants, since the receiver is legally considered the firearm part, they have to be SN by the Importers.

Some older imports the added SN was the same as the original SN, but later on the new numbers became unique. Some good reading below.

https://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum. ... php?t=9414
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I believe that the logic behind the added serial was that the BATFE was concerned that some of the the Soviet serials may have repeated over their long history.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:38 am I believe that the logic behind the added serial was that the BATFE was concerned that some of the the Soviet serials may have repeated over their long history.
Also, for those rifles that had prefix's those were in Cyrillic and not translatable to English. Century tried to resolve this with stamping English translated prefix's over the Russian s/n at one point. But, they and most all of the importers resorted to assigning their own serial numbers on large ugly billboards on the receiver, except on the older rifles that only had numbers stamped on the shank... But, as import stamping requirements increased even those guns required billboards.