Non import marked Mosin Sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ARTX

Non import marked Mosin Sniper

Post by ARTX »

Hello all,new to the groups but a long time collector/shooter. I was invited by a buddy to look at a massive collection of milsurps. Needless to say when I first walked into the house I was bloown away. I can honestly say I haven't seen so many non import marked milsurps in one place. Some with paperwork including Sniper.
I couldn't resist the Mosin Snipers so I had to buy them.
After thorough inspection there are indeed no import marks. I was thinking possible Vietnam bringback, I hope to get with the people I bought the rifles from so if they find anything to let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeronimo62

Re: Non import marked Mosin Sniper

Post by Jeronimo62 »

Very cool looking Tula!
Can’t tell the scope maker, only that it was refurbished in ‘53.
Since the receiver also has a refurb mark, the scope and rifle might have been together for quite some time!
"He who laughs last, didn't get the joke" :chuckles:
ARTX

Post by ARTX »

Thank you for your assessment. I agree,the gentleman who had this collection had to have spent yrs amassing his guns. I fell in love with the Mosins I bought from the estate. The other Sniper that I posted here was from that same collection. From fins,Remington, Westinghouse this guy had it all.
CTRCSWIW 126

Post by CTRCSWIW 126 »

The below links/information were deleted as it was copyrighted. OP may see PM for further information.

My novice two cents leads me to think that the bolt is not original to the rifle; I have seen the "fonts are different" regarding various numbered components as indicative of something not being original but those comments are what I base my guess on. Again, I am a novice but it's interesting to me that "EC" prefix is not stamped on the bolt along with the 767, but I don't know enough to comment further.

Beautiful rifle, belayed congrats! Any update on the history of the rifle from those you purchased it from?
1944 Izhevsk PU (? TBD) 1914 Izhevsk Receiver
1943 Sako M39 on 1905 Tula Receiver
1926 Tikka M91 on 1917 Tula Receiver
1939 Tula M91/30
1941/50 Izhevsk "MO" on 1941 Izhevsk Receiver
ARTX

Post by ARTX »

Thanks, I was able to snap a few pics tonight
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Pull the hand gaurd, bet it is import marked there. It is a new import, you can tell by the proof mark on the bolt. This mark is required to be on firearms exported from the Russian Federation. I believe the number to the right of the ГИС is the export certification year of the particular firearm.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
ARTX

Post by ARTX »

I have taken this gun down,no import marks anywhere to be found.. only mark I see looks like a square backwards C
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

The <rnc> mark on the bolt is a form of an export mark, but there is a chance the rifle itself got missed.
20210208_190145_LI.jpg
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

New guy here.
I think that “squared C” on the barrel may be a proof mark. That letter is a “P” in the Roman alphabet or “Pi” in the Greek . In the Cyrillic alphabet, it looks like a box with the bottom missing.
DocAitch
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It is a very nice rifle. Congratulations.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I was searching the Bungroper yesterday for PU snipers, just to keep up with the market. It looks as if their is a bunch of reproductions, and few original PUs on the market. The sellers say everything except that they are reproductions. A lot of new buyers are going to get burned and then be put off of collecting for good. It is a shame. If it is a reproduction, if it is a fantasy piece, then it should be made clear. I hate dishonesty.

Since I couldn't get much info, does anyone have a good idea of what current market price is for a common refurb PU now days?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

A common Russian refurb today can occasionally be had for $900.00, but usually they are 1k and up, depending on year and manufacturer.

Hungarian manufacturer, and Polish/Yugo refurbs are all over the $1500.00 mark.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Miller Tyme wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:41 am A common Russian refurb today can occasionally be had for $900.00, but usually they are 1k and up, depending on year and manufacturer.

I only have one, and when I bout it for $600.00 I was afraid I would never get my money out of it, if I needed to sell. ;)

It is still interesting to me, that the more common, wartime rifles have increased in value three to four times, while the sniper only doubled.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:42 pm
Miller Tyme wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:41 am A common Russian refurb today can occasionally be had for $900.00, but usually they are 1k and up, depending on year and manufacturer.

I only have one, and when I bout it for $600.00 I was afraid I would never get my money out of it, if I needed to sell. ;)

It is still interesting to me, that the more common, wartime rifles have increased in value three to four times, while the sniper only doubled.
Yes, but a $69.00 rifle tripling only increases in value $138.00, your sniper by doubling has increased by $600.00 :thumbsup: