Blood Pitting? 1942 Italian Beretta

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
srtjeeplover95

Blood Pitting? 1942 Italian Beretta

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

So I got this 1942 Italian Beretta locally about 3 years ago from a local gunshop. Got it for $200 I believe. Does this look like blood pitting? :vsad:
The man that brought it in bought it that sold it, his dad served in northern Italy durring the war. I guess it was carried by a German solider that was KIA, and he had this?
I don't buy the story I bought the gun? May makes sense?? I liked it.

I collect mostly Axis Arms! And USSR as well :crazy.gif:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Blood Pitting? 1942 Italian Beretta

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I can't tell from the pictures, they make it look only bluing deep, lots of things can take off bluing other than blood. Water beads on metal and tends to flow off, blood is like a salt paste that adheres to one area and goes to work right away. It will pull moisture right from the air to keep the salts hydrated and digging away into the metal. Tends to form an odd patchy rust . I have a K98k bayonet with a nice example of this as well as the blood rifle, 1941 Sako M39, the bayonet is handy, but the camera is not, and I am off to bed, maybe tomorrow.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:31 pm I can't tell from the pictures, they make it look only bluing deep, lots of things can take off bluing other than blood. Water beads on metal and tends to flow off, blood is like a salt paste that adheres to one area and goes to work right away. It will pull moisture right from the air to keep the salts hydrated and digging away into the metal. Tends to form an odd patchy rust . I have a K98k bayonet with a nice example of this as well as the blood rifle, 1941 Sako M39, the bayonet is handy, but the camera is not, and I am off to bed, maybe tomorrow.

It isn't handy, new phone and it still stinks.... I'm not posting any more photos unless I take them with my camera 📸

Thanks Junk Yard Dog
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

This is blood pitting. It is on a T53 Chinese Mosin where the bayonet folds back to, the bayonet is clean.
Mosin blood spot 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Longcolt44 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:15 pm This is blood pitting. It is on a T53 Chinese Mosin where the bayonet folds back to, the bayonet is clean.
Mosin blood spot 001.JPG

Yeah mine has that in the corner of the pistol... Wonder why the t53 would have any blood on it? Wasn't used in any war?? Well unless it was Vietnam
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

srtjeeplover95 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:50 am
Longcolt44 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:15 pm This is blood pitting. It is on a T53 Chinese Mosin where the bayonet folds back to, the bayonet is clean.
Mosin blood spot 001.JPG

Yeah mine has that in the corner of the pistol... Wonder why the t53 would have any blood on it? Wasn't used in any war?? Well unless it was Vietnam
The Chinese communist party has never had a problem killing other Chinese who's thinking strays from the party line, These type 53's were also sold to Albania, who then sold them to combatant's in the nasty Bosnian wars of the 1990's. They were also provided to North Vietnam who used them to arm the Viet Cong in South Vietnam during our involvement there.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The blood bayonet, a good example of typical blood pitting.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Note how it seems to form a swirling pattern as it etches into the metal, and the etching is localized rather than spread over the entire blade. It's only located in an area that would be used for slashing or stabbing, but does not impact the bluing over the whole blade. A dark piece of history, but then most of history is written in blood.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have always wondered about this one. It is a non-refurbished, non-import marked, 1915 made revolver. My photography skills don't display it well, but, at the front of the barrel, there is corrosion that is consistent with three fingerprints. The middle finger would have been directly under the sight. It is much more pronounced in person. I wonder if someone, with bloody hands did not pick this one up and tossed it into a pocket.

It is just part of the mystery of collecting old surplus weapons. Your imagination is free to roam the possibilities.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:51 am
Mosin blood spot 001.JPG

The Chinese communist party has never had a problem killing other Chinese who's thinking strays from the party line, These type 53's were also sold to Albania, who then sold them to combatant's in the nasty Bosnian wars of the 1990's. They were also provided to North Vietnam who used them to arm the Viet Cong in South Vietnam during our involvement there.

Ahhh that would make total sense. Crazy that these weapons where intended to kill... Not anymore they are in our safes :thumbsup:
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:52 am The blood bayonet, a good example of typical blood pitting.

Yes that is creepy. Thats a k98 bayonet. Must of been on the Eastern Front.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

why is that an issue with you...78 years ago that piece got left on a battlefield for 1 of 1000 reasons...the least likely that it has the remains of wear and tear consistent with blood still on the blade causing a permanent change to an extremely hard metal surface made to withstand all sorts of use.....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

srtjeeplover95 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:29 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:51 am
Mosin blood spot 001.JPG

Ahhh that would make total sense. Crazy that these weapons where intended to kill... Not anymore they are in our safes :thumbsup:
Maybe in the safe, but still very lethal if used in that manner. Mosins and other antique arms still soldier on in some of the worlds garden spots.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

srtjeeplover95 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:31 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:52 am The blood bayonet, a good example of typical blood pitting.

Yes that is creepy. Thats a k98 bayonet. Must of been on the Eastern Front.
No, this was captured on the western front, GI Joe brought it home. Could have been in the east before that, or some other place, you neve rknow.
Theodore Roosevelt