Matching scope and reciever? Is this correct

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
srtjeeplover95

Matching scope and reciever? Is this correct

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Does this seem correct? The same number on the scope as on the reciever? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Matching scope and reciever? Is this correct

Post by Miller Tyme »

Yes, looks like a rearsenal match, but more is need to determine it 100%
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Ok,
Here are some more photos

Now I take this isn't a wartime stock for a 1944 correct? The buttplate has a different sn than the gun.

Also was that the scope that it left the factory with in 1944 or was it added much later? I usually see them crossed out not re added. The font stamped on the reciever looks off to me not sure? Also why does the mount have a different sn from the rifle sn?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

It isnt a war time stock and may not even be an arsenal replacement. I saw this one on line and the Chinese butt plate is the 1st thing that threw up red flags.
Good close ups of the scope number on the barrel shank will help determine more on the scope number but the font looks like the type some arsenals used during replacement.
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Okay hmmm? That is odd? I know it's not common for the scope to match the reciever? Also isn't that a rare scope too..
Thanks
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

The scope is a Kazan produced scope ( NKV 237) and was produced in 1943, not common, about 4% of production that year iirc
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Very interesting thanks! I had a really nice light refurb mosin I bought a few years back. I sold it and I wish I didn't. Is there any mosins that have not seen any factory refurbishment? I have to yet see one. I know alot of the ones from Vietnam still saw refurbishment over the years. This was my old one. I'm still kicking myself... Looking for another.
Jeronimo62

Post by Jeronimo62 »

As said, the stock is not good. The scope is a refurbished SVT 38/40, so at least in production it predates the rifle. If calibrated for the 91/30 it will have “CB” stamped on the dials. The mount is also mismatched, but looks original. The ‘44 Izhevsk rifle looks good to me. In today’s market, not a bad rifle at all. Just get a better stock!
"He who laughs last, didn't get the joke" :chuckles: