M52 Hungarian Scope Question

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Ihcowner

M52 Hungarian Scope Question

Post by Ihcowner »

Hello new to the forum and I have a question to ask. I picked this M52 Hungarian up on an auction a couple years ago, that I actually went to get an early SVT-40 but things went cheap and the M52 came home too. From what info I can find these came with both Russian and Hungarian optics, but is there a time line of what came with when? The scope looks pretty set and matched wear wise to the gun, didn't know if it was too early for Hun made optics? What number did they start production of these rifles? Anyway, thanks for any info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: M52 Hungarian Scope Question

Post by Miller Tyme »

There is some debate as to whether or not the Hungarians used Russian PU scopes with there snipers but I was told by a fairly knowledgeable collector in Italy that some here know (Alb87) a number of years ago the the Hungarians made far more M52's then they did scopes so yes they could have used them.

That said they did use Hungarian made scopes in 1952, my 52 has a Hungarian matched scope on it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Igrlik

Post by Igrlik »

This is without doubt russian scope.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Igrlik wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:31 pm Image
This is without doubt russian scope.
Yep, it is a Progress/Plant NKV # 357 scope produced in 1943
Ihcowner

Post by Ihcowner »

Thanks for the info Miller Tyme and Igrlik, I knew it was a Russian scope, didn't know about the year it was made. Being the scope is Russian WW2 manufacture is that common among the other verified M52 rifles with Russian scopes? Or are they later production? Curious if mine was replaced or if the Huns were just given left over WW2 surplus and used that to fill the gaps. Obviously the Huns could make the scopes on their own, but could they keep up with demand?
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

No way to know for sure, but I have also seen a couple of M52 bring backs from SEA that had Russian scopes on them and the patina on them matched the rest of the rifle.