#1 Bob's rigging

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
Jbob

#1 Bob's rigging

Post by Jbob »

McClelland army saddle model 1904, bridle and halter used during WWI
As winter sets in and days grow short it gives me time to think back missing all my friends from the greatest generation. I spent a lot of years reenacting Civil War and that mixed in with spending a lot of time with this generation dedicating memorials and such over the years. I always enjoyed the time shared and actually fit in better than the people of my own age group. Many stories were shared over the years that will never be known by the families of these good ole boys.
This rig belonged to one of my best friends Denver Gandee who was a tank commander in Europe during WWII. Denver was a good speaker and he spent a lot of time with children at schools usually sharing local Civil War history but never spoke of his own war experience. Some of those stories were shared one on one with me over the years. Later in life he became a animal lover raising all sorts animals on his small farm. He would tell me about how the German army would use horses to move equipment and catching them in convoys on roads they would aim to kill the lead team of horses blocking the road and then kill everyone and everything down the line. He would brake into tears telling me those poor horses never did anything wrong and didn't deserve to die that way. He once told me about being run over at the Battle of the Bulge where he said they just they just came out of no where. Talking later on to a captured German soldier he was told they used large teams of horses to pull the equipment into place during the night. The soldier went on to tell the vocal chords were cut on the horses to keep the as quiet as possible.
My last visit to Denver's farm before he passed he walked me to the barn and asked me to take this rig home to keep along with a few other smaller items. Damn I miss him and several others so much....

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: #1 Bob's rigging

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, I knew men like him, women also who all did their part and later said very little about it. The last WW2 vet I personally knew passed almost two years ago, the last WW1 vet 30 years ago. Miss every one of them, even the cantankerous ones.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

A lot of the horses also got butchered for their meat. Happened after the Great War and I'm certain that it also happened after WWII, but not to the extent that happened after the Great War.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

A Veteran told me in town one day "They fed us hoss meat in Korea. I know they did cause my buddy was one of the cooks" :bdh:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:03 pm A Veteran told me in town one day "They fed us hoss meat in Korea. I know they did cause my buddy was one of the cooks" :bdh:
A lot of horses got butchered after the Great War to feed the masses in Europe.