No refurb marks

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
steelbuttplate

No refurb marks

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've wondered about this one maybe it was in service at refurb time, or good enough to just put into storage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: No refurb marks

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How about import marks? Bit late for SCW, no SA stamp that I see, or other Finnish indicators. It's a refurb without the typical markings we associate with the bulk of Soviet refurbished weapons. Not unusual, I have a few obvious refurbs without markings that we currently recognize as coming from a repair facility.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The import mark is near the muzzle, Coles dist. I read on the knowledge base that a small number were good enough to just put in storage with maybe 1-2 parts replaced, didn't go thru full refurbishment.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very possible, with so many different facilities at different times doing the refurbishment what to do was probably left up to the individual facilities. Small lot of rifles, some look good as is, leave them and save a buck, plus pad the work accomplished figures quickly. There are always weapons held in reserve that never got issued.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Definitely refurbed, the bolt and floorplate were force matched.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

racerguy00 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:29 am Definitely refurbed, the bolt and floorplate were force matched.
Agree, the 4 on the barrel is different then the 4 on the floorplate and bolt, along with the other numbers. Barrel 4 is more closed at the top, the other 4s are more open at the top. Also the font is different, you can see the Sherifs on the original numbers and not on the others.

The only matching Russian Mosin Nagant (M44) I have, has the entire serial number including the letters on the SN parts.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

racerguy00 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:29 am Definitely refurbed, the bolt and floorplate were force matched.
Yes, I wasn't saying original matching numbers. But this is two easy parts to replace, no tools even required, and the rest was good,. This could have been done out of a parts box in the field , if they had a field numbering contraption. It's been repaired but didn't go thru major refurbishment. :shifty: Or it did and they forgot to stamp it.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

I have a 1926 Izhevsk ex-Dragoon that has a post-war stock, has been counter-bored and clearly refurbed at least once but that has no refurb arsenal stamp/mark on either the barrel shank or receiver.

I guess sometimes they get missed especially if the rifles are rushed through to meet targets, oversights happen in factories etc all the time even today.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Are there any cartouche stamps on the stock?
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

racerguy00 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:56 pm Are there any cartouche stamps on the stock?
I can't see any thru that coat of red shit thick as a whore's nail polish.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

well, there is no argument with that observation................