9mm reloading assistance needed.

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
catcracker

9mm reloading assistance needed.

Post by catcracker »

Been reloading off and on for years, but sill a novice.
Started reloading 9mm JHP. Made exactly to specs in book. But round will not chamber. I know it is too long,and/or nose is too wide. I have attached 3 pics. First is specs I am using from Lyman handbook. Second are the 3 rounds . Outside rounds are factory. Middle is mine. Third pic is bag of bullets.
I'm guessing I have to seat the bullet further down. But I don't understand why they would make a bullet that won't chamber when made to measurement in book.
Thanks for your assistance in advance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X9UkeTCoL3gPj5s97

https://photos.app.goo.gl/21MSLrZsSnqrnnKt9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WxmoJN3K35PSiZuG6

Catcracker
tjtM38

Re: 9mm reloading assistance needed.

Post by tjtM38 »

Let me start by saying I don't presently load 9x19. However, I have loaded a hell of a lot of .45 ACP and the principles still apply. Make sure cases are trimmed to spec before reloading them, make sure you have the proper crimp on each round (taper crimp works best with semi-auto pistol rounds), and make sure the cartridge does not does not exceed maximum overall length (C.O.L.) The C.O.L. you have in your Lyman book is exactly the same as my Hornady manual (9th edition). If you are meeting all of those criteria, and the round still won't chamber in your pistol, I would simply try loading a FMJ bullet and see what you get. The only hollow point I load is in my other 9mm caliber, 9x18 Makarov. I do load a significant amount of those and have never had any problem with the Hornady XTP bullet in the military surplus Makarov pistol. Just looking at your pictures, the center round looks longer than the two factory rounds you display, and the bullet profile is quite different; not as rounded as the other two.
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

"Just looking at your pictures, the center round looks longer than the two factory rounds you display, and the bullet profile is quite different; not as rounded as the other two."

Exactly. But the factory rounds are much shorter than the book states. It would be no problem seating it deeper. I just get nervous going outside the book specs. That will also increase the pressure, correct? I do have the ability to check velocity. Just wanted to get some feedback first.

Thanks.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

catcracker wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:56 pm "Just looking at your pictures, the center round looks longer than the two factory rounds you display, and the bullet profile is quite different; not as rounded as the other two."

Exactly. But the factory rounds are much shorter than the book states. It would be no problem seating it deeper. I just get nervous going outside the book specs. That will also increase the pressure, correct? I do have the ability to check velocity. Just wanted to get some feedback first.

Thanks.
It would increase the pressure, but probably not enough to be noticeable. Remember, most semi automatic hand guns operate at a relatively low pressure (10,000-15,000 psi) compared to rifles.
Igrlik

Post by Igrlik »

Lowering OAL and not increasing the pressure - you have to lowering amount of powder. How much - check some reloading software. Because increasing the pressure too much can covert your handgun into hand grenade!!!
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

The one in the middle looks slightly over length. Make certain that you are using the correct powder charge for the weight of the bullet and seat it to the correct depth. Also note that some bullet seating dies require a different tool for ball ammunition and hollow point ammunition.

That should solve the problem. If it does not, then the feed ramp in the handgun might need polishing. I have loaded JHP for 9x19 and tried loading it for 45ACP until I figured out that the antique 1911 I have would not chamber a JHP without polishing the feed ramp. Simple solution there was simply not to use JHP for the 45.
Johngrey8220

Post by Johngrey8220 »

The same basic concepts apply even if I've loaded a massive amount of 45 ACP. Before reloading, check sure the cases are cut to spec and that each round has the appropriate crimp (taper crimp works best with semi-auto pistol rounds).
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

awalker1829 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:25 pm The one in the middle looks slightly over length. Make certain that you are using the correct powder charge for the weight of the bullet and seat it to the correct depth. Also note that some bullet seating dies require a different tool for ball ammunition and hollow point ammunition.

That should solve the problem. If it does not, then the feed ramp in the handgun might need polishing. I have loaded JHP for 9x19 and tried loading it for 45ACP until I figured out that the antique 1911 I have would not chamber a JHP without polishing the feed ramp. Simple solution there was simply not to use JHP for the 45.
I've got a Polish P64 that won't shoot anything but brass ball ammo. Hollow points..no , steel case ammo ..no. Some semi autos are particular about their ammo. What pistol are you shooting ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"