My first Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Spooneryork

My first Mosin

Post by Spooneryork »

I’ve recently purchased my first Mosin Nagant a 1945 M44 Izvesk Armoury Carbine. It looks clean and fairly good condition with a good bore. I test fired it at my local club last week and it was as expected. The trigger was very harsh and also the bolt very stiff, I struggled to get the hang of loading a 5 round clip. I did struggle with zeroing at 100 Yards. Grumbles aside it’s a cracking little Rifle in good condition.
I’ve bought a Timney trigger conversation for it and my local Gunsmith is going to give it a good service and check over and will fit the Timney Trigger and re-crown the barrell if required. Any other sensible upgrades that don’t radically alter the appearance of the Rifle? I’m in the UK so I don’t think there are any Mojo Sight stockists here in the UK.
matt167

Re: My first Mosin

Post by matt167 »

We do not allow new sporterized conversions to be shown here... We generally say keep it the way it was built and enjoy it for what it is.
1911lvr

Post by 1911lvr »

Not exactly a warm welcome there matt167.

Spooneryork, Welcome to the group! I didn't even know Timney made a trigger conversion for Mosins. I recently bought my first Mosin but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. Any way you use yours, shoot it and enjoy!
Last edited by 1911lvr on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Congrats spooneryork on a nice Mosin carbine. Matt was trying to let you know that as a preservationist forum, we do not support modifications of original military relic firearms. There are a lot of reasons that are discussed in the forum rules, but the short version is that altering these is like chopping sanding and painting a heirloom 18th century piece of antique furniture. And of course then you cannot go back.
As for your Mosin M44 of course you can do whatever you like, but there will not be much enthusiasm here for it. As far as alterations we do support them if it can be completely reversed. The Timney trigger will not fit your stock UNLESS the stock is filed out larger to fit the trigger. That cannot be reversed. As for the Timney, it will work with a replacement stock made for it. Then your stock remains original. The Archangel stock completely mods the Mosin and all your original parts can be reinstalled. Anyway, we like them original, hard trigger and all. Because that is what they are and have always been. I do want to say welcome to vintage firearms and to this forum. 🙂
bill cunnane

Post by bill cunnane »

Congrats on the new M44. I use to have one and loved it but had to sell it and now am kicking myself. Yes the M44 can be stiff in bolt operating. Nature of the beast. I also suggest a light oiling of the entire mechanism. Do not over oil as it may gum up and make operating even stiffer especially in colder temps.