Finnish captured 91/30 ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tinman1960

Finnish captured 91/30 ?

Post by tinman1960 »

I recently won Mosin Nagant 91/30 on GunBroker...when I received it ...Upon closer look I realized it is a Finnish captured reworked 1934 Tula Hex receiver all matching numbers, except the buttplate ...I know there's a rule about being all original numbers out there when I got home with it and started to clean it it was covered in cosmolene and a lot of it was dried up in places the receiver tang has the date 34with Tula star stamped on it the barrel has the date of 1934 with the Tula star the magazine has the Tula star ,the spring follower has the Tula star ,both barrel bands have a Tula star all of the bolt and parts have the Tula star and it is blued all of the pieces is blued the forearm on the stock is 3 fingered groove repaired the stock finish feels like it was original because it has no varnish or shellac on it the buttstock has the Tula Star on the right side the front site has a DBL stacked blade on it ...I think that this is the most unusual Mosin I even have and I am curious ii paying 475 too much?
steelbuttplate

Re: Finnish captured 91/30 ?

Post by steelbuttplate »

It is common for a Finn capture to be mismatched, and the 3 finger joint is a Finn made stock to prevent warping during sub zero weather, which affects accuracy. Finns didn't use shellac, but a pine tar mixture, don't mess with it. Some are selling for about what you paid these days. It should be fairly accurate.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
RMAC60

Post by RMAC60 »

Thanks .I have a real strong feeling that this is a very good shooter..I am right now doing a thorough cleaning in the chamber area because of the possibility of the dreaded sticky bolt syndrome , lol. Also I thought the Mosin Nagants went to the round receiver in 1930 this is a 1934 Tula Hex receiver?I just wish for more information about that and for what it's worth I love this one!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

RMAC60 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:48 pm Thanks .I have a real strong feeling that this is a very good shooter..I am right now doing a thorough cleaning in the chamber area because of the possibility of the dreaded sticky bolt syndrome , lol. Also I thought the Mosin Nagants went to the round receiver in 1930 this is a 1934 Tula Hex receiver?I just wish for more information about that and for what it's worth I love this one!
I've got a '36 Tula hex, the last yr for them. I think '35 maybe for Ishvesk.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"